cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

native i3c support

TB
Associate III

Any chance STM32 MCUs will adopt native i3c support any time soon? Many new devices, including some from ST (like the LPS22HH), support it. It's a compelling (new-ish) standard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
9 REPLIES 9
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hello @Bacteriusewley​ ,

Your proposal is shared internally to be assessed by our Experts.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

JCURT.1
Associate

​hello,

yes, an I3C IP is currently in development. It will be available in some coming STM32 MCUs and MPUs.

-Jo 

TB
Associate III

Hi Jo and Amel -

I am quite excited about I3C. I am currently designing a highly-connected motor control board around the STM32G474VE, and dedicating an entire GPIO to handle the data ready condition from every connected slave device on I2C is killing me. Being able to account for such conditions, where possible, with an In-Band Interrupt (IBI - see https://www.mipi.org/node/1256) would be a game changer in terms of simplified connectivity. I3C is also capable of much faster comm speeds than I2C, and is much more power efficient even when communicating to legacy I2C devices (see https://www.microcontrollertips.com/improved-inter-integrated-circuit-i3c/).

Any chance that recent STMs (like those in the STM32G4 family, which I am currently designing around) can at least partially benefit from the development of this IP block via a firmware upgrade, or is new hardware required? Even if existing MCUs just gained IBI on I2C via such a firmware upgrade, without gaining the faster speeds of the full I3C spec, would be a game changer. Could one of you contact me offline with projected release dates, if you can't answer such questions here?

Thanks heaps,

Tom

Hi @Bacteriusewley​ ,

It should be better to get in contact with one of our FAEs who can bring you more help and provide more details about what you are asking for.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

KPrzi.1
Associate

Is here an Update for I3C? Looking for an I2C/RS232/RS485/TTL/SDA/SCL to I3C/RS232/RS485/TTL/SDA/SCL communication chip (all in one SMD communication chip) ?

Konami
Senior

Any update on this?

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Stay tuned Worldwide webcast: STM32 Innovation Live - STMicroelectronics

Foued_KH
ST Employee

Hello ,

I recommend you check this AN5879 : Introduction to I3C for STM32H5 series MCU - Application note

Please have a look too at the available examples within STM32H5 package:

STM32Cube_FW_H5_V1.0.0\Projects\NUCLEO-H503RB\Examples\I3C

GitHub link : GitHub - STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH5: Full firmware package for STM32H5 series containing CMSIS, HAL-LL, BSP drivers, MW libraries plus a set of projects.

Foued