cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apt-get: You don't have enough free space

Lukas1
Associate III

Hi,

I installed node.js with apt-get on my STM32MP157C-DK2, which worked great.

Now I want to install another package but it fails

apt-get install nodejs-npm
Need to get 7286 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

But I think there is still enough free space on the SD Card:

root@stm32mp1:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       715M  682M     0 100% /
devtmpfs        150M     0  150M   0% /dev
tmpfs           214M     0  214M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           214M   20M  195M  10% /run
tmpfs           214M     0  214M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           214M  4.0K  214M   1% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p4   58M  8.5M   46M  16% /boot
tmpfs           214M   80K  214M   1% /var/volatile
/dev/mmcblk0p7   14G   74M   13G   1% /usr/local
/dev/mmcblk0p5   15M  8.4M  5.1M  63% /vendor

hope someone can help. Otherwise I have to cancel my work with node.js

regards

Lukas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Lukas​ 

Your rootfs is full.

Please note in section https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Package_repository_for_OpenSTLinux_distribution#Limitations

rootfs available space is about 60MB by default. For a better experience it is recommended to flash the Starter Package using the "extensible" flashlayout (*-extensible.tsv).

Extensible flashlayout does not flash userfs partition to extend the rootfs partition to the size of the sdcard.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Lukas​ 

Your rootfs is full.

Please note in section https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Package_repository_for_OpenSTLinux_distribution#Limitations

rootfs available space is about 60MB by default. For a better experience it is recommended to flash the Starter Package using the "extensible" flashlayout (*-extensible.tsv).

Extensible flashlayout does not flash userfs partition to extend the rootfs partition to the size of the sdcard.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Community member​ ,

thanks for your fast reply.

I want to avoid flashing a new image. Is it possible to expand rootfs on the installed image?

Lukas

Hi,

you can't resize a mounted partition, as far as I know.

What you can do is take your SD-Card and mount it on a seperate Linux PC. There you can then unmount it and use tools like gparted or fdisk to resize your partition.

Bare in mind, that this is (again as far as I know) just possible if there is no other partition on a higher offset than your rootfs. From your listing i assume that that is the case and the vendor filesystem resides at a higher offset than the rootfs (the rootfs should be on /dev/mmcblk0p6).

If that is the case deleting the vendorfs might help you.

Hi,

I moved /var/cache/apt to /usr/local and created a symbolic link. Works for now, but I don't think it's a permanent solution

Lukas

Hi @Community member​ 

On trying to extend rootfs to the entire sdcard, I tried to flash the extensible flashlayout to my MPU157-DK2 board. I am using the Distribution Package.

I did not get the entire SD Card memory to be used but rather something below 1GB.

Are there any options that I am missing to extend the rootfs?

Hi,

I fixed after image creation by using the following command on a Linux machine. sdb6 is the rootfs partition when created with the extensible flashlayout.

sudo resize2fs /dev/sdb6

Of course this only works after image creation.