cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I connect the ground of a high-speed external crystal oscillator in the STM32WB55?

MAhme.1
Associate

I've looked at the reference design in the application note AN5615 page 13. This micro controller has integrated load capacitors for the high speed external oscillator. In the bottom right package, on the 32Mhz oscillator there is a symbol leading to ground. I do not understand what this specifies in wiring.

Do the OSC_In and OSC_Out pins connect to the crystal and then connect to ground?

My crystal package has 2 pads for ground as well. Is the diagram referring to these pads being connected to ground?

I have attached some pictures of the schematics I am designing.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

AN5165:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00504903-development-of-rf-hardware-using-stm32wb-microcontrollers-stmicroelectronics.pdf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

On your crystal, pins 2 and 4 should be grounded as in "Guess1". Grounding everything as in "Guess2" won't be useful.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

On your crystal, pins 2 and 4 should be grounded as in "Guess1". Grounding everything as in "Guess2" won't be useful.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you!