cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undefined HAL symbols, in Keil

sarojj7
Associate III

I have existing working code which uses uart and some GPIO functions. Its main.h has,

#include "ll_common.h", #include "stm32h7xx_ll_gpio.h", #include "stm32h7xx_ll_usart.h"

and few more ll headers.

Now I need to add I2C functionality to the code. I go through the code given at

en.stm32cubeh7_v1-7-0\STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0\Projects\STM32H743I-EVAL\Examples\I2C\I2C_EEPROM_fast_mode_plus\MDK-ARM, as the code uses HAL drivers , I make the following changes,

1. Add

#include "stm32h7xx_hal.h"

#include "stm32h7xx_nucleo.h (in example its stm32h743i_eval.h)

2. Add USE_HAL_DRIVER to compiler per-proceesor symbols(it already has USE_FULL_LL_DRIVER)

3. I add stm32h7xx_hal.h, stm32h7xx_nucleo.h,stm32h7xx_hal_conf.h, stm32h7xx_nucleo_conf.h, stm32h7xx_nucleo_errno.h, stm32h7xx_hal_i2c.h, stm32h7xx_hal_i2c.c to the project.

4. I also confirm that in stm32h7xx_hal_conf.h , #define HAL_MODULE_ENABLED and all other relevant modules are enabled.

Even with all these, I am getting compilation error like

.\STM32H745I_Nucleo_CM7\Exe\STM32H745I_Nucleo_CM7.axf: Error: L6218E: Undefined symbol HAL_EXTI_GetHandle (referred from stm32h7xx_nucleo.o).

.\STM32H745I_Nucleo_CM7\Exe\STM32H745I_Nucleo_CM7.axf: Error: L6218E: Undefined symbol HAL_EXTI_IRQHandler (referred from stm32h7xx_nucleo.o).

.\STM32H745I_Nucleo_CM7\Exe\STM32H745I_Nucleo_CM7.axf: Error: L6218E: Undefined symbol HAL_EXTI_RegisterCallback (referred from stm32h7xx_nucleo.o).

and many more.... basically compiler is not able able to see any HAL symbols.

KEil Version:5.26.2.0

What am I missing ?

Also I am using NUCLEO-H745ZI-Q, but keil does not support this board. Can this be a possible reason?

I tried all that I possibly could, I am stuck.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Ok, HEADER files describe interfaces, they don't typically contain the code required for linkage.

Need to add the library SOURCE files to get closure, ie

stm32h7xx_hal_exti.c

Try Keil 5.29

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks for such prompt reply. I did add stm32h7xx_hal_exti.c, but still same undefined HAL symbol errors are coming.

Do I have to add other files like these. How do I know which files , I have add. Is there any document stating, the the code flow among HAL files ?

I have gone through the HAL and LL driver document but I think , what am missing is the dependency among HAL files and their behavior when LL files are used along with HAL files.

Piranha
Chief II

Those errors mean that stm32h7xx_hal_exti.c is still not added/compiled/linked properly.