cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA by HC-05 Bluetooth module and bootloader with STM32F2_Discovery ??

Abdou
Associate II

Hello,

im working in STM32F769_discovry board with IAR embedded workbench IDE, i want to use OTA for updating the firmware in my board, i have HC-05 Bluetooth module,

please i want to know if this module can do this job with smartphone (android app) ??

if yes, what are the steps to implement this OTA ?

is Bootloader required for OTA?

Thank you for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
S.Ma
Principal

Done something similiar 7 years ago on F103/L151 and at that time, the main challenge was to program the communication of HC-05 to be with even parity bit, 115200bps. Uploading more than 32kbyte of code may become very very long though.

Abdou
Associate II

thank you for your answer.

can your give me some examples please ?

Svish.2
Associate II

@Abdou​ Hello,

Were you able to facilitate the OTA using HC-05 module?

I am also planning to do the same. What I understand is:-

Get data from HC-05

Save it to the flash memory

Copy the code to main memory using bootloader.

Let me know if you were able to move forward with this?

Thanks

I suspect the ROM based loader is ill suited to the task, and has significant issues with initial connectivity, and recovery.

The better approach is to have your own loader, with a more robust protocol, and retry/recovery implementation.

Where possible you want to stage the update image in an external memory, or other location, so it can be fully downloaded, and validated before one attempts to apply it.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

So clearly I may not be able to use the ST internal bootloader for the task?

If I move to segregate my flash into three parts i.e. my bootloader, main program and the firmware update, will I need to update the linker script for the same or make any changes in the vector table of the startup?

Is it okay if I download my update to a flash location and use a software reset to start my own bootloader and copy the update to my startup location?

Thanks