cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for a far field antenna for ST253993-EVAL

MKova.1
Associate II

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a far field antenna to use with ST25RU3993-EVAL board? Right now I'm using the near field loop antenna that comes with the Dev kit.

Cheers,

Mirnesa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cedric Dalban
ST Employee

Hello MKova,

my first answer would be to use the same antenna as used in our demo video: Poynting Patch A0025.

This antenna is a very long range antenna able to reach distances above 13m with our reader.

as mentioned by Bart: "reaching a specific read distance depend on a number of things" (cf thread: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D73W000000PdgB/i-can-read-up-to-50-centimeters-how-can-i-change-the-reading-distance)

Let me reproduce his answer:

"reaching a specific read distance depend on a number of things including the reader output power, environment, tag model, tag orientation, material the tag is mounted on.

Typically a link budget calculation helps you to figure out which antenna gain is required to establish the link and hence which antenna model.

I am guessing, and apologies I am wrong, you would like to run a quick test.

Consider A5020 from Times-7.

If this antenna does not fit your requirements e.g. size, you might browse their portfolio and/or look at Laird or MTI as well finding an antenna with a similar gain.

"

regards,

Cedric.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Cedric Dalban
ST Employee

Hello MKova,

my first answer would be to use the same antenna as used in our demo video: Poynting Patch A0025.

This antenna is a very long range antenna able to reach distances above 13m with our reader.

as mentioned by Bart: "reaching a specific read distance depend on a number of things" (cf thread: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D73W000000PdgB/i-can-read-up-to-50-centimeters-how-can-i-change-the-reading-distance)

Let me reproduce his answer:

"reaching a specific read distance depend on a number of things including the reader output power, environment, tag model, tag orientation, material the tag is mounted on.

Typically a link budget calculation helps you to figure out which antenna gain is required to establish the link and hence which antenna model.

I am guessing, and apologies I am wrong, you would like to run a quick test.

Consider A5020 from Times-7.

If this antenna does not fit your requirements e.g. size, you might browse their portfolio and/or look at Laird or MTI as well finding an antenna with a similar gain.

"

regards,

Cedric.