cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partly Disabled Conflict Question from Noob

JHenr.2
Associate

Sorry for these noob questions, but I am having a hard time understanding the exclamation marks in CubeMX. If somebody could please guide me here, it will be much appreciated.

Example 1:

0693W000000WxM5QAK.jpg

The ADC converter is shown as Partially Disabled. However, I should still be able to use is, as long as I don't select IN2, right? So, since I have selected IN9, why do I still get this warning? There is clearly nothing wrong.

Example 2:

0693W000000WxMAQA0.jpg

Again, I assume I can safely use USART5 as long as I do not select hardware flow control. Is that correct? Also, since I have clearly NOT selected hardware flow control why is it showing this warning?

Final Example:

0693W000000WxMFQA0.jpg

I have selected the STM32F030CCT6 for my design. I want to use USART4 and USART2. Their RX and TX signals are on pin 10/11, and 12/13 respectively. However, since USART4 RX and TX pins can also be used for USART2's CTS and RTS signals , there is a POTENTIAL conflict here. This is flagged, despite of me NOT selecing hardware flow controls CTS and RTS. I have looked, and I don't think these USARTs are sharing anything else, like a baud rate generator or something. Isn't it correct that the design will work as shown, and the little yellow triangle on USART2 can be safely ignored?

Also, would the CubeMX flag it IF the USARTs DID share something internal like a common baud-rate generator or something?

And here I am making a leap... Is it correct to say that the yellow exclamation marks in the CubeMX software can safely be ignored, because they are only flagging POTENTIAL pin sharing conflicts and not actual ones? If so, the only critical errors are the red stop signs?

Also, if that is correct, why does the software show warnings, once a selection has been made that clearly does not cause any conflicts? Since the designs will work correctly, the exclamation marks are not doing anything but confuse new players like myself. I realize this is simply "user interface ****", but spinning a board based on design files full of yellow warning triangles does not instill much confidence.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

> However, I should still be able to use is, as long as I don't select IN2, right? So, since I have selected IN9, why do I still get this warning?

Your understanding is correct.

> Also, would the CubeMX flag it IF the USARTs DID share something internal like a common baud-rate generator or something?

You generally can't assign a resource to two different things. If you try to re-assign a pin, it will remove it from what it was currently assigned to.

If there are major issues with clock settings, it will display a red X and warn you before you generate code.

> Is it correct to say that the yellow exclamation marks in the CubeMX software can safely be ignored, because they are only flagging POTENTIAL pin sharing conflicts and not actual ones? If so, the only critical errors are the red stop signs?

Yep.

> why does the software show warnings, once a selection has been made that clearly does not cause any conflicts?

That's just the way it behaves. I agree it would be better to save the warning messages for, you know, actual issues. It's not perfect, but it's quite useful for a number of things. Clock settings and pin assignments are easily done in CubeMX that would take much longer if one had to use the pinouts in the reference manual.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
JHenr.2
Associate

Thank you so much. I will go ahead with my PCBs with a lot more confidence than before 🙂