cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L43KC: Changing Clock Frequency?

CLeo.1
Senior II

Hey guys, just having the hardest of times changing clock frequency to 80MHz for the system clock and 43MHz for the ADC clock. Every time I try it seems the writing function to registers gets disabled such as RCC->AHB2ENR trying to enable GPIOA and ADC clock enables.

The weirdest thing is I tried it even with the HAL pre-generated code and there's no difference in performance. I am running a digital filter and its still takes the same time as it was on 4MHz assuming the HAL worked in changing the clock frequency. Any Ideas?

Here's the code:

void initClock(){

void initClock(){

RCC->CR |= RCC_CR_MSIRGSEL; // Enable: MSIRANGE in CR
    RCC->CR |= RCC_CRMSIRANGE_6;

RCC->PLLCFGR &= ~(1<<12); //
    RCC->PLLCFGR |= ((1<<13) | (1<<11)); // PLLN = 40
    RCC->PLLCFGR |= (1<<0); // PLLSRC = MSI

RCC->PLLSAI1CFGR |= (1<<25); //PLLSAI1R = 4
    RCC->PLLSAI1CFGR &= ~(1<<12);
    RCC->PLLSAI1CFGR |= ((1<<8) | (1<<9) | (1<<11) | (1<<13)); //PLLSAI1N = 43

RCC->CR |= (1<<24); // Enable: PLL
    while(((RCC->CR) & (1<<25)) == 0); //Wait till PLL is ready

RCC->CR |= (1<<26); // Enable: PLLSAI1
    while(((RCC->CR) & (1<<27)) == 0); // Wait till PLLSAI1 is ready

RCC->PLLCFGR |= (1<<24); // Enable: PLLREN Goes into System Clock 
    RCC->PLLSAI1CFGR |= (1<<24);  //Enable: PLLSAI1REN Goes into ADC

RCC->CFGR |= ((1<<1) | (1<<0)); // Switches to the PLL ClCK source
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You have to change the FLASH waitstates number (see FLASH_ACR.LATENCY) before switching to higher clock, and maybe also voltage regulator ("range") setting.

JW

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You have to change the FLASH waitstates number (see FLASH_ACR.LATENCY) before switching to higher clock, and maybe also voltage regulator ("range") setting.

JW

CLeo.1
Senior II

Thank you for the reply. See I tried looking into it, please correct me if I am wrong, however with the STM32 Chip I am using it doesnt look like I need to change the wait states? I checked the Flash_ACR register and I guess you can use any wait state for any frequency? The Voltage regulator thats a new one, Ill give it a shot

CLeo.1
Senior II

Just double checked what you said. Correct Ill change it accordingly and Ill let you know. Thank you

CLeo.1
Senior II

Thank you! It worked!

berendi
Principal

In line 6, bit 12 of RCC->PLLCFGR is reset, and the PLLN field temporarily becomes 0, which is an illegal value according to the reference manual. Try it in one operation:

RCC->PLLCFGR = (RCC->PLLCFGR & ~RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLN) | (40 << RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLN_Pos);

then do the same for PLLSAI1N.

ADC clock source should be selected in RCC->CCIPR