cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License talk

Ondrej Popp
Associate III

​After playing around with CubeMX for a while and looking at the generated code and at the SLA0044 Ultimate Liberty Lisence where ofcourse the question comes to mind what ultimate liberty... really means while there is a license that comes with it... I kind of stumbled over points 5 and 7 I believe in this lisence about excluding open source terms and ST owning the software. It appears that these licenses could be more specific about ST owned copy right and User owned copy right. Especially if ST owned cooy right meets with User owned copy right in the same auto generated file with User sections... Now I have been reading some other posts about these issues from 2018 all closed now, and I saw @Amel Nasri explanation that actually the User sections are excluded from this lisence and so you have ultimate liberty over there, even releasing those parts under Open Source terms or whatever the user decides.... Which is ofcourse alright but this is not made explicit in the lisence agreement. Maybe that's not necessary if mr Amel Nasri would be the president of ST micro electronics for life, but in all the other cases I think it would be a good idea to make all these issues more explicit in the lisence agreement.

I​ do not believe that the user rights are not mentioned in this lisence, SLA0044, by an oversight but that this is done deliberately, and so if points 5 and 7 are that important then the user rights or ultimate freedoms should be made explicit in this lisence as well. Takes one more point maybe, let me try...

Point x

The terms in this ST micro electronics license do not apply to the user sections in our generated code and any other user supplied content ​that makes up the final software product running on our micro controllers.

​​How is that? Cool?

0 REPLIES 0