cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeG4: Wrong comment in HAL_RCC_DeInit()?

TwelveSquared
Senior

The function HAL_RCC_DeInit() in STM32G4xx_HAL_Driver/Src/stm32g4xx_hal_rcc.c contains the following:

/* Clear CR register in 2 steps: first to clear HSEON in case bypass was enabled */
  RCC->CR = RCC_CR_HSION;

/* Then again to HSEBYP in case bypass was enabled */
  RCC->CR = RCC_CR_HSION;

The comments suggest this clears HSEON, followed by HSEBYP.

However, the code appears to set the same value to CR register twice, RCC_CR_HSION.

Is the comment incorrect?

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

I'd wager it's the correct comment but the incorrect code. Definitely a bug since overwriting the entire CR register is not the intention, in either case.

Probably should be:

/* Clear CR register in 2 steps: first to clear HSEON in case bypass was enabled */
  CLEAR_BIT(RCC->CR, RCC_CR_HSEON);

/* Then again to HSEBYP in case bypass was enabled */
  CLEAR_BIT(RCC->CR, RCC_CR_HSEBYP);

Not sure why two steps are needed. The F4 simply does:

/* Clear HSEON, HSEBYP and CSSON bits */
  CLEAR_BIT(RCC->CR, RCC_CR_HSEON | RCC_CR_HSEBYP | RCC_CR_CSSON);

Although I doubt many people use this function. Don't often want to de-initialize the clock settings.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello,

I tracked this internally for analysis. I will come back to you soon with update.

Thank you for your contribution.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought there must be something weird in the reference manual that I didn't notice. Now I know I wasn't losing my mind. 🙂

Thank you for looking into it.

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello,

Sorry for the delay to answer you.

After check, the code is correct and is optimized. We use a direct register access into RCC CR register to clear HSEON and HSEBYP bits.

The following Line will set HSION bit and enforce the reset on all other bits in CR register (HSEON will be cleared automatically by writing 0)

RCC->CR = RCC_CR_HSION;

equivalent to

RCC->CR &= RCC_CR_HSEON;

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen