cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tune Torque (current) Control?

David Martins
Senior

Hello everyone!

Well, the question is this: what is the procedure for tuning the Torque/Current Controller?

About the Speed Controller, it is well known how to tune the gains of the PID. In addition to the ST documentation - AN5464 - it is possible to see an explanation of the empirical method.

However, I don't find in the documentation information about the Torque/Current tuning. I can observe the Iq through the DAC, but the rest of the procedure I need help.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear David Martins

Do you have still this problem to solve?

Best regards

Laurent Capella

David Martins
Senior

The project is in a standby phase.... but yes, the torque tunning problem persist.

KKuma.3
Associate III

@Laurent Ca...​ Could you please give some hints regarding this question?

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @KKuma.3​ 

Could you give us the details of your materials (HW and SW, boards and tools, ad so on)?

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @KKuma.3​ 

Any news?

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

KKuma.3
Associate III

Hello ,

@Laurent Ca...​ " @STM32 Motor Control " thank you for the reply.

I am using Nucleo F303 RE and X-Nucleo - IHM08M1, MCSDK 5.4.4.

Maxon 70 Watt motor with encoder.

I am able to control the position of the motor with the provided application for a limited speed.

Below are my questions,

1 how can I tune the motor for a better torque performance , for position control application?

2 I wanted to spin the motor at very low speeds, i.e position control at low speeds and higher torque.

The PID tuning explained in AN5464 is not sufficient and does not work.

3 I also wanted to know the impact of using the MCI_SetCurrentReferences api instead of MCI_ExecSpeedRamp or MCI_ExecTorqueRamp ?

4 How do I select the values of current if I use MCI_SetCurrentReferences api in MCboot for a particular motor ?

Regards,

Kumar

CKlei.1
Associate III

I'm on the same phase in my project where I need to tune the torque/current controller. I also need to limit the max. current (kind of protection for my power supply). Therefore, it would be very helpful to get some information about the question David Marin has posed.

Regards

Chris Kleiber