cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can read up to 50 centimeters. How can I change the reading distance?

Uyalç.1
Associate II

Hi,

We bought ST25RU3993-EVAL from your company. This evaulation board worked. I installed ST25RU3993 RS. I set Reader Settings,choosed Antenna. I did everything you told in video. You mentioned in your demo video that you can read up to 11 meters.

But i can read up to 50 centimeters. You used A0025 in your video. Is this about or is there something i missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cedric Dalban
ST Employee

Hello,

the antenna being used in the video (Poynting Patch A0025) is indeed a long range antenna.

The 13 meters shown in the video cannot be reached with the antenna provided with the ST25RU3993-EVAL

which is a near field antenna and is designed for short ranges.

best regards,

Cedric

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cedric Dalban
ST Employee

Hello,

the antenna being used in the video (Poynting Patch A0025) is indeed a long range antenna.

The 13 meters shown in the video cannot be reached with the antenna provided with the ST25RU3993-EVAL

which is a near field antenna and is designed for short ranges.

best regards,

Cedric

Uyalç.1
Associate II

Hello Cedric,

Thanks for answer. I have one more question 🙂

The distance I want to read 3 meters. Which Antenna Model would you recommend?

Bart Herse
Senior II

Hi Uyalç.1,

reaching a specific read distance depend on a number of things including the reader output power, environment, tag model, tag orientation, material the tag is mounted on.

Typically a link budget calculation helps you to figure out which antenna gain is required to establish the link and hence which antenna model.

I am guessing, and apologies I am wrong, you would like to run a quick test.

Consider A5020 from Times-7.

If this antenna does not fit your requirements e.g. size, you might browse their portfolio and/or look at Laird or MTI as well finding an antenna with a similar gain.

Cheers,

B