cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VNC/Remote Desktop configuration

La1
Associate III

Hi i want to access remotely my stm32mp157c-dk2 with graphical interface.

I am running openstlinux-20-02-19 from starter package.

I installed tigervnc (apt-get install tigervnc and apt-get install xauth) and start it by typing "vncserver". But when i connect to it (from vncviewer) only terminal shows up, nothing else. I tried to start some desktop session from this terminal by typing (weston / weston-start / dbus-launch weston-start / weston-launch) but nothing works.

I also tried to modify ~/.vnc/xstartup and changed to :

#!/bin/sh

unset SESSION_MANAGER

unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

exec dbus-launch weston-start

But after this change, only black screen shows up : /

I am new to wayland/weston and vnc configuration. I hope somebody with more experience can help me with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DenisH
Associate II

Hello,

unfortunately this feature is not supported. You may find a way building a X11-based image without Weston-wayland, but OpenSTLinux targets a lightweight industrial usage more than a PC-oriented usage.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DenisH
Associate II

Hello,

can you precise what you want to achieve using VNC? In other words, what requires to be graphical that cannot be done with a ssh connection for example.

Thanks.

La1
Associate III

Hello, of course i can precise 🙂

I have graphical app that is running on stm32mp157c-dk2 (with monitor connected) and i need to remotely help user/operator of this program. If it were Windows, i would just use TeamViewer for this.

DenisH
Associate II

Hello,

unfortunately this feature is not supported. You may find a way building a X11-based image without Weston-wayland, but OpenSTLinux targets a lightweight industrial usage more than a PC-oriented usage.

Best regards,

DBake.6
Associate

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is a cross platform screen sharing system that was created to remotely control another computer. This means that a computer’s screen, keyboard, and mouse can be used from a distance by a remote user from a secondary device as though they were sitting right in front of it.

RealVNC launched its latest VNC-based remote access product: VNC Connect. This software combines the convenience of a cloud service with the flexibility of offline connectivity (also known as direct) and provides an optimized strategy for every size of business. 

Since its initial release, the product has continued to evolve, with features such as high-speed streaming and remote audio being added to the mix, along with continual tweaks to further refine the product to meet the needs of our customers.

VNC Connect’s key features include intuitive remote control, cross-platform support, attended and unattended access, file transfer, multilingual support, online team management and virtual desktop management under Linux. Its sessions are encrypted end-to-end using up to 256-bit AES encryption providing multi-factor authentication, single-sign-on (SSO), granular access control and rich session permissions.

But let's start with the beginning and discuss all these topics one at a time.

While we're on the topic of security, you will want to secure your RealVNC account as much as possible. It would be ideal to do this before you start making the most out of your VNC Connect subscription.

Here are the main points when configuring VNC Connect for comprehensive security:

·      How to turn on multi-factor authentication

·      How to blank your screen

·      How to authorize your device