cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated SMT32_WPAN description for newer versions of STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeIDE

AClif
Associate III

I have been working through the STM32WB workshop (https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/support/learning/stm32-education/stm32-moocs/STM32WB_workshop_MOOC.html), which has mostly been excellent. Unfortunately, when I get to workshop 4 (How to modify BLE profile), the version of STM32_WPAN in the version of STM32CubeMX and the STM32WB libraries used in the demo are very different from the current version.

I am using the STM32WB Cube_FW V1.5.0 In STM32CubeMX version 5.6.0 and the STm32CubeIDE version 1.3.0. The workshop uses Cube_FW V1.0.0.

When I add a Custom Template for BLE, several new tabs are added which need completing., and I can find no details on how to complete these. I have had a go at adding the SHORTENED_LOCAL_NAME to the advertising elements, but the generated code has a "value_not_setted" entry, which causes the build to fail. Replacing this parameter with just a number (e.g. '0') allows the programme to build, but it does not work.

Is there an update to this workshop anywhere? It has been very useful, but unfortunately completely breaks at the point where I need it most!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Ok I got some news from people developing the custom template under CubeMX.

In fact this feature is a very interesting one ... when it is fully functional!!!

I am afraid the current version had not been fully validated for all possible cases and it should be even richer and mature in the next CubeMX releases.

Anyhow you can you use it but you have to fill all the information regarding the new services you want to create.

To make it short, this custom template helps define services and characteristics for your own application.

Each time you create a new service, a new tab is added to define all the associated characteristics with their own UUID, Type, value and the properties, permissions and other events depending on the possible action you can perform on these characteristics.

If you lack information on how to fill all these tabs, have a look at the predefined services (like HearRate or beacon) to see how their characteristics are defined.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

First, note that CubWB FW package V1.6.0 is available on the st web site.

Then could you clarify what you call a Custom Template?

I am afraid there is no update of this workshop according to the new CubeWB FW releases.

We may have to.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Ok I got some news from people developing the custom template under CubeMX.

In fact this feature is a very interesting one ... when it is fully functional!!!

I am afraid the current version had not been fully validated for all possible cases and it should be even richer and mature in the next CubeMX releases.

Anyhow you can you use it but you have to fill all the information regarding the new services you want to create.

To make it short, this custom template helps define services and characteristics for your own application.

Each time you create a new service, a new tab is added to define all the associated characteristics with their own UUID, Type, value and the properties, permissions and other events depending on the possible action you can perform on these characteristics.

If you lack information on how to fill all these tabs, have a look at the predefined services (like HearRate or beacon) to see how their characteristics are defined.

AClif
Associate III

Hi Remi, thanks for the update and thanks for going out of your way to get the info! I will do as you suggest and use the predefined service characteristics as a guide.

Thanks also for the info about V1.6.0. I have downloaded the zip file, but the STM32CubeIDE does not seem able to see it. In the Embedded Software Packages Manager, it only goes up to V1.5.0 and if I choose "From Local..." and select the zip file, I get the error "Invalid zip file or missing expected Pdsc file within pack root directory."

AClif
Associate III

Pressing the Refresh button doesn't help either.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

MXv5.6 / IDE v1.3 only support CubeWB FW up to v1.5.

So nothing strange they do not see the v1.6.

This CubeWB FW v1.6 will be supported in the next CubeMX release 6.0.

AClif
Associate III

Hi Remi, thanks for the information, I will eagerly await the updated version!

DOren.2007
Associate II

have you managed to create a custom template? I'm right now with the same problem

I'm afraid I haven't yet. I have been distracted onto other aspects of my project and was hoping that by the time I get back to it (probably next week) something might have been updated! In the absence of an update, I was going to follow Remi's advice and look at the settings for the pre-defined services.

Far from ideal, but hopefully something will come of it. If you find any more information please feel free to share it here!