cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE v1.3.0 + TouchGFX v4.13.0 + CubeMX 5.6.0 -- Issue Compiling when using latest versions of those apps together.

DMavr.1
Associate

Hi!

Given the circumstances, I've finally found time to learn the STM32 dev environment. I have a STM32F769iDisco board.

I've successfully used TouchGFX v4.13.0 to start a new project with a simple interface (background and button). I can compile, simulate and run on target.

I've also been able to use CubeMX to open the ICO file and to modify board settings and then compiling & running using TouchGFX.

The issues begin when I try and debug using STM32CubeIDE. I open the project in a new workspace, build without errors, but when I try and run or debug I get an error.

In the console I get:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.5.0
Copyright (c) 2019, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:
        Persistent Mode            : Disabled
        Logging Level              : 1
        Listen Port Number         : 61234
        Status Refresh Delay       : 15s
        Verbose Mode               : Disabled
        SWD Debug                  : Enabled
        InitWhile                  : Enabled

Waiting for debugger connection...
Debugger connected
Debugger connection lost.
Shutting down...

And a "Problem Occurred" Alert with the following error:

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:
load C:\\TouchGFXProjects\\ScreenMaskingController\\STM32CubeIDE\\Debug\\STM32F769I_DISCO.elf 

Error message from debugger back end:
Load failed
load C:\\TouchGFXProjects\\ScreenMaskingController\\STM32CubeIDE\\Debug\\STM32F769I_DISCO.elf 

Load failed

Load failed
Load failed

The same project builds fine with TouchGFX but not via the IDE. Why?

Is there a way to change the IDE to use the same compiler/programmer settings TouchGFX is using?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi,

Are you still having this issue?

aponski
Associate II

DMavr.1 how did you solve this isssue?

GOtté.1
Associate II

I encounter the same problem. Anybody an idea how to fix this?

aponski
Associate II

Me too

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

​Is an external flashloader configured for the project? These versions are pretty old now - what are your current toolchain versions?

Some of the ATs were missing flashloader configuration which would cause this. But should have been fixed.

GOtté.1
Associate II

I'm working with TouchGFX 4.16, STM32CubeIDE 1.51 (latest versions) on a NUCLEO-G071RB + X-NUCLEO-GFX01M1 board.

I opened the one sample project available for this board combo in CubeMX, uploaded it to the board without any problem.

Then I opened the project in CubeIDE, compiled without any problem, but uploading/running is returning these errors:

load C:\\TouchGFXProjects\\GFX01_Test01\\STM32CubeIDE\\Debug\\STM32G071_NUCLEO.elf 

Load failed
load C:\\TouchGFXProjects\\GFX01_Test01\\STM32CubeIDE\\Debug\\STM32G071_NUCLEO.elf 

Load failed

Load failed
Load failed

And there is no external flashloader configured.

When I enable the external flashloader (S25FL032P_STM32G071B-NUCLEO, 0x90000000, SPI_FLASH, S25FL032P_STM32G071B-NUCLEO.stldr)

This is returned:

Failed to start GDB server
Failed to start GDB server
Error in initializing ST-LINK device.
Reason: (-2147155971) Unknown. Please check power and cabling to target.

GOtté.1
Associate II

Maybe it's related, but when I build the release in STM32CubeIDE, the .bin file is >2GB!

Is this because of this in the linker script:

SPI_FLASH (r)   : ORIGIN = 0x90000000,  LENGTH = 8M

GOtté.1
Associate II

A small update. I convert the generated .elf file to a .hex file (the .bin is way too big) : arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O ihex STM32G071_NUCLEO.elf STM32G071_NUCLEO.hex

Then I programmed the board by using "ST-Link Utility" and the external loader file (MX25L6433F_STM32G071B_NUCLEO.stldr) from the folder "en.X-CUBE-DISPLAY_1_0_0\Utilities\PC_Software\ExternalLoader".

And this is working fine, so the building in STM32CubeIDE is fine, only the uploading to the board is failing.

It's because .bin files do not contain notions of memory ranges, so it has to contain all the data from 0x0-0x90000000+8M. Disable bin file generation if you don't need it - You probably just want the .elf or .hex