cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot boot my original board which STM32MP151CAA3 MPU is mounted on with original device tree generated by STM32CubeMX

HMasu.1
Senior

I'm trying to boot my original board which STM32MP151CAA3 MPU is mounted on with original device tree.

However, cannot boot the board when following steps.

--Environment--​

Host PC: Intel Core i7 3.6GHz / Ubuntu Ver16.04.6 LTS

STM32CubeMX: Version 5.6.0

OpenSTLinux: openstlinux-4.19-thud-mp1-20-02-19

​--Steps--

1) Generate device tree sources by STM32CubeMX

(See the attachment file "PortMap.ioc")

2) Fill the User Section according to my board hardware.

(See the attachment files "Device tree file modified in user section for original board"

in comparison to "Device tree original file from CubeMX")

3) Compile the device tree with Developer Package, and Get "kernel DTB", "u-boot.stm32" and "TF-A.stm32" files.

This step is acording to following wiki page.

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_compile_the_device_tree_with_the_Developer_Package#Updating_the_TF-A_device_tree

4) Flash “u-boot.stm32�? and “TF-A.stm32�? with following FlashLayout file.

#Opt  Id    Name       Type        IP    Offset       Binary

-     0x01  fsbl1-boot    Binary       none  0x0         tf-a-stm32mp157c-ev1-trusted.stm32

-     0x03  ssbl-boot     Binary       none  0x0         u-boot-stm32mp157c-ev1-trusted.stm32

P     0x04  fsbl1        Binary       mmc0 0x00004400  *tf-a-xxxxxxx-mx-trusted.stm32

P     0x05  fsbl2        Binary       mmc0 0x00044400  *tf-a-xxxxxxx-mx-trusted.stm32

P     0x06  ssbl         Binary       mmc0 0x00084400  *u-boot.stm32

-     0x21  bootfs       System      mmc0 0x00284400  st-image-bootfs-openstlinux-weston-stm32mp1.ext4

-     0x22  vendorfs     FileSystem    mmc0 0x04284400  st-image-vendorfs-openstlinux-weston-stm32mp1.ext4

-     0x23  rootfs       FileSystem    mmc0 0x05284400  st-image-weston-openstlinux-weston-stm32mp1.ext4

-     0x24  userfs       FileSystem    mmc0 0x33C84400  st-image-userfs-openstlinux-weston-stm32mp1.ext4

*...Original Device Tree 

During this steps, There was no error.

However, when trying to boot my board, error message shows in console window and cannot boot the device.

(See the attachment file "Capture_BootError.png") 

I am in trouble because there is very little information I could get from this error message.

What could be the cause of the error?

Or, what should I try to get more information?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HMasu.1​ 

Not sure to get what you mean by TF-A boot log.

For me boot log is the trace issued on UART4 console you already have.

Else I think following page might give you some more ways to investigate issues in TF-A :

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/TF-A_-_How_to_debug

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HMasu.1
Senior

I hope I can get any information to solve this question.

I greatly appreciate your cooperation.​

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HMasu.1​ 

Seems the TF-A Device Tree is still not correct. You have to focus on this one first.

Looks at the node "clocks" generated by MX for a DK board.

It contain mandatory setting for lse and hse you don't have.

clocks {

/* USER CODE BEGIN clocks */

/* USER CODE END clocks */

clk_lse: clk-lse {

st,drive = < LSEDRV_MEDIUM_HIGH >;

/* USER CODE BEGIN clk_lse */

/* USER CODE END clk_lse */

};

clk_hse: clk-hse {

st,digbypass;

/* USER CODE BEGIN clk_hse */

/* USER CODE END clk_hse */

};

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
HMasu.1
Senior

Hi @Community member​

Thank you for your answer.

I tried to modify the node "clock" in TF-A Device Tree refer to above description, but the same error occurs.

Is there anything else that could be causing the error in my device tree , such as power supply?  

Or, could my steps be wrong to compile device trees for my own board?

I compiled with the following articles as reference.

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_compile_the_device_tree_with_the_Developer_Package

H.Masuda

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HMasu.1​ 

Sorry my previous message can be misleading.

I point the clocks node but, indeed you have to check the whole content of TF-A Device Tree in regards of example on ST board.

For exemple, one other major node is &rcc one.

So far, I don't suspect any problem in you build process following wiki.

But if you doubt at some point about it you can train and check by doing it on your ST board with fully working DT.

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
HMasu.1
Senior

Hi @Community member​ 

I have understood that there are many other contents need to check and modify in the TF-A Device Tree .

In order to discover the error contents even a little, I want to get TF-A boot log file if possible.

Could I somehow get ​TF-A boot log?

H. Masuda

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HMasu.1​ 

Not sure to get what you mean by TF-A boot log.

For me boot log is the trace issued on UART4 console you already have.

Else I think following page might give you some more ways to investigate issues in TF-A :

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/TF-A_-_How_to_debug

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
HMasu.1
Senior

Hi @OlivierG (ST Employee)​ 

I understand that boot log is the trace issued on UART4 console shows.

I will check above page and try it.

Thank you.

​H. Masuda