cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encoder or Hall Sensor for X-NUCLEO-IHM16M1 ?

CBald.1
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying a P-NUCLEO-IHM03 motor control pack but I would need to find, preferably, encoder or, at least, Hall sensors I can use with the X-NUCLEO-IHM16M1. Could someone please recommend me sensors that work fine with this board ? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

​The X-NUCLEO-IHM16M1 have the J1 connector to manage the signal coming from Hall sensors or Encoder.

If you have a BLDC motor integrating the Hall sensors you can use that.

If you are using motor without integrated sensors,  we suggest to use a commutation encoders (e.g. CUI devices).

Claire O.
ST Employee

Dear CBald.1,

Just one question: with the P-Nucleo-IHM03 there is already a motor provided. Do you plan to use the provided control Nucleo board + IHM16M1 with your own motor?

Thanks,

Claire

chaaalyy
Senior II

It also depends on the usecase: If you want to use a bldc for position control (servo... gimbal...), as far, as i know, you HAVE to use incremental encoders (3 lines: A/B/Z (Index)). Refer to https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group1/05/2a/5f/da/fa/91/40/f4/DM00691525/files/DM00691525.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00691525.pdf in this case.

If you just want to use speed control (6 step or foc), depending on the controller board, it´s not necessary to have any encoder.

With my previous experiences (and disappointed expectations...), when it comes to promoted boards and other stuff, it really helps, if you study the possibilities before you buy anything 😉

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @CBald.1​ 

Do you have still this problem to solve?

If not, do not hesitate to share the final solution you found.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @CBald.1​ 

I guess you don't have to solve this problem anymore, therefore I consider this thread closed.

If not, feel free to reopen it by posting an answer.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...