cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Console simply disappear after updating STM32CubeIDE ?!

Colin Bairoch
Associate II

I was working with STM32CubeIDE version 1.2 and I was debugging my code with the serial console available in the IDE.

I made the update to the 1.3 version and now the "open serial console" icon just disappear and I can't find it anywhere.

Does the serial console has been removed on version 1.3 ?

If not, where is it hidden ?

Thanks in advance:

PS:

Here is a picture extracted from document AN5360 which explain about the serial console. This is this icon or fonctionnality that I am looking for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Julien D
ST Employee

Hi Colin Bairoch,

This is expected since this feature was introduced for MP1 purpose only, and some bad customer experiences were reported in MCU legacy context.

To setup a serial console in a pure MCU context I would recommend those steps:

1. Open the Connections view (Window > Show Views > Other or through the Quick Access field on upper right corner)
  2. Press New Connection button from the view toolbar
  3. Select Serial Port, fill connection settings, and complete the wizard
  4. Right-click on the new connection and use Open Command Shell (you may have to press Enter to display the prompt)

Otherwise you can still get the feature back in Preferences (STM32Cube > Target Status > switch visibility to Always). The visibility of Target Status widget and this toolbar button is somehow linked.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Julien D
ST Employee

Hi Colin Bairoch,

This is expected since this feature was introduced for MP1 purpose only, and some bad customer experiences were reported in MCU legacy context.

To setup a serial console in a pure MCU context I would recommend those steps:

1. Open the Connections view (Window > Show Views > Other or through the Quick Access field on upper right corner)
  2. Press New Connection button from the view toolbar
  3. Select Serial Port, fill connection settings, and complete the wizard
  4. Right-click on the new connection and use Open Command Shell (you may have to press Enter to display the prompt)

Otherwise you can still get the feature back in Preferences (STM32Cube > Target Status > switch visibility to Always). The visibility of Target Status widget and this toolbar button is somehow linked.

HTH