cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which EEPROM is usable to boot from a STM32H7xx via I2C?

DFuchs
Associate III

Hi,

in AN2606 Rev.42 the needed slave address for the EEPROM is 0b1001110x but I cannot find any suitable chip. Is it a typo because i would suspect a slave address like 0b1010xxxx?

Kind regards

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is probably a misunderstanding.

The bootloader in STM32 is not intended to load a program from an external I2C memory into its internal memory and run it from there, as is the case with some SoC.

The bootloader in STM32, when run (subject to pin and configuration bit "patterns"), waits on its peripherals until an external master starts to "talk" to it, and then through this channel, the external master "burns" program into STM32's internal FLASH.

In other words, STM32 is *slave* in bootloading, whether I2C or other ways.

JW

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This is probably a misunderstanding.

The bootloader in STM32 is not intended to load a program from an external I2C memory into its internal memory and run it from there, as is the case with some SoC.

The bootloader in STM32, when run (subject to pin and configuration bit "patterns"), waits on its peripherals until an external master starts to "talk" to it, and then through this channel, the external master "burns" program into STM32's internal FLASH.

In other words, STM32 is *slave* in bootloading, whether I2C or other ways.

JW

DFuchs
Associate III

Thank you!

I will add a standard i2c eeprom for fault back data and i have to protect my firmware in the internal flash. My firmware must decide at start up if it needs data from the i2c.

Kind regards

Daniel