cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WB55 Cube MX Cannot Retrieve Services

BPaik
Senior

I am doing some basic bluetooth development with the WB55 Nucleo Board using the STMWB Workshop videos as a guideline. Following this, I was able to reproduce the example project that blinks the LED and reads the button state of the board with the ST BLE App. I am also testing with a bluetooth app that generically connects to a device, retrieves the services/characteristics, and interacts with them by sending/receiving bytes. On workshop video 4, the tutorial diverged from the Cube MX version I was using (5.6) when enabling a Custom Template. Using Cube MX 5.6 generates a number of additional fields to configure the custom services/characteristics (not present in the videos), which seemed to make it easier to set everything up. I simply want to create characteristics to read/write arrays of bytes, but I can't seem to figure out the correct settings in Cube MX to get this to work. To make things simple, I started by trying to create a single service and characteristic to write a byte of data. I can compile and program the code to the Nucleo board, but cannot connect to it with the ST BLE app. Using my generic bluetooth app, I can connect to the board, but the app cannot retrieve the services. It seemed to me that I am missing something in the Cube MX settings (such as the configuration or BLE advertising settings), and that everything should work just by enabling the correct item. I've tried many combinations of enabling and disabling various STM32_WPAN settings unsuccessfully. I've attached my .ioc file in case it could provide any insight. Any tips would be appreciated, especially if there was a newer tutorial using Cube MX 5.6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BPaik
Senior

The services and characteristics became discoverable once I disabled the broadcast option from the Cube MX settings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
~Amit~
Associate III

I think that the ST BLE app looks foe specific services.

Try to download and use "BLE Scanner" its available both on android and apple stores (its free).

Its great as a development BLE terminal.

Yeah, I figured that could be the case, which is why I tested it with my generic bluetooth app as I mentioned in the OP. It can connect to the nucleo board but cannot retrieve the services. I went ahead and tried out the BLE scanner and got the same result. The app connects to the board but the status says "discovering services..." without ever completing. Have you been able to create a service/characteristic with the custom template option in Cube MX 5.6 and successfully access the service with the BLE scanner app? If so could you provide the .ioc file - this would essentially address my issue.

So I finally got the services and characteristics to show in the BLE Scanner App by deselecting the broadcast option in Cube MX. However, I am still unable to use the read, write, or notify characteristics successfully. Sending a byte from BLE scanner seems to do nothing on the Nucleo end and reading data does not show up either.

BPaik
Senior

The services and characteristics became discoverable once I disabled the broadcast option from the Cube MX settings.