cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensortile.box initial firmware update through ST BLE Sensor App fails. Why?

TJM
Senior

On initial power up of the sensor box then running the sensor app there is a notice for updated firmware. The app then guides the user through the steps of selecting the update and uploading/installing that update, sensortile.box_v332.bin. The progress indicator show the file being uploaded but ends with 'Upload Error: Error sending the data'. The bluetooth LED flashes while the upload is taking place. The procedure is also described in the STSW-MKSBOX1-bl.pdf but I'm unable to get a good updated upload.

added: Also, can't get the thing to do anything even with the original firmware.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

TM

14 REPLIES 14
TJM
Senior

After numerous attempts at updating the firmware the last attempt (obviously) took and successfully completed the update to v3.3.2. I have no idea as to why it decided to complete successfully but I noticed a couple of things. I now can connect and make the demos work. My phone occasionally has issues with BLE and that may have been the problem all along. The TILEBOX won't operate on battery alone. New post with pics for this.

I was hoping for a more solid procedure for the update.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @TJM​ , thank you for your reporting. Which smartphone / android system are you using? In case of (future) upgrading issue, I suggest you to check this thread about direct .bin file upgrade.

Regards

TJM
Senior

Thanks for the reply.

The phone is a Motorola G5 Plus running Android 8.1.0 .

I checked your recommended thread and video. I think what happened is I just stumbled upon a sequence of button pushes and connections that eventually turned out correct and the firmware update loaded successfully. Not sure I can repeat the procedure but I can eliminate what doesn't work now.

Please check my post on the battery charging system issues for this TILEBOX.

Thanks,

tjm

Android 8 could give some issues, especially during the FW upgrade phase.. about the other post, I'm checking today

Regards

TJM
Senior

Thanks, and to confirm, I have had occasional issues with BLE on this particular phone that apparently get resolved after making repeated attempts at uploads or connections. No reliable reason has ever been given by the Android community or by Motorola/Lenovo.

tjm

SGold.6
Associate II

Me, too. Did you ever get the thing working again? I think a failed download just bricked mine.:(

Thx

Steve

TJM
Senior

Hello. I made a reply to this email with my phone but it doesn't appear that it actually went through. What version of the firmware does the app show? I have v3.4.9 and it appears this is the latest version. I'll try and find the link to this version as it was posted in another thread. If you use the latest binary and burn it with CubeProgrammer it should restore the unit.

TJM
Senior

I can't find the v3.4.9 update but run a search in st.com for FP-SNS-STBOX1 and you will find the sensortile.box function pack with several app and binaries that can be loaded. This function pack was part of a workshop for the sensortile.box and has some good info. Maybe one of the ST employees will see this and post the latest upgrade v3.4.9 or later if there is a later version.

niccolò
ST Employee

Hi @TJM​ ,

this should be what you are looking for =)

Niccolò