cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the STM32G491RE (expected Q3 2020) be pin compatible with the STM32G431RB?

TB
Associate III

I am designing a multifunction motor control board leveraging two STM32G431RBs (64pin BGA version of the entry-level STM32G4). In due course, I anticipate the 128K Flash / 32K RAM limit on these MCUs may well be a significant limiting factor of what this board can be used for. I noticed that the STM32G491RE (in the same MCU family / package size, with 512K Flash / 112K RAM) is announced for release in Q3 2020. Will it be pin compatible? When will its datasheet be released? We won't be manufacturing large scale until Q3, but we are starting layout (using STM32G431RBs) now. I am hoping there won't be too much rejiggering of the layout required when upgrading to the STM32G491RE?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Igor Cesko
ST Employee

The new G4 family member will be fully pin compatible with STM32G431, plus there will be added some more features (peripherals - including QuadSPI).

More public information will be after device announcement.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TB
Associate III

@Imen DAHMEN​  Hi Imen - can you also help me out with this related question? In particular, will STM32G491RE just be a memory bump, with all pin mappings left unchanged, or will it change pins and add other features (like QuadSPI? wishful thinking here, the ability to connect flash memory to a G4x1 chip would be a game changer for me....). Thanks heaps for the info, trying to plan ahead in order to select the right IC for our board. 🙂

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

The new G4 family member will be fully pin compatible with STM32G431, plus there will be added some more features (peripherals - including QuadSPI).

More public information will be after device announcement.

TB
Associate III

Sweeeeet! Great news thanks! I’ll watch for it!

Asantos
Senior

Igor,

What about the STM32GBK1CBTx included in the STM32CubeMX. It is a single PN and has an incompatible pinout with the rest of the family. Is there plans for more STM32GBs with reduced power pinout?

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

This device is dedicated for specific customer only and will be not "cloned".