cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Injected conversion mode with 8 MEMS and DFSDM

TMaie.1
Associate II

Hello,

I want to realise a project with the STM32 Nucleo F767ZI Development Board where i need to sample audio data from 8 MEMS Microphones. Since the board only features 4 DFSDM filters but 8 input channels i need to multixplex them. What i already know is that i can use the Injected Conversion mode and group my channles (ch0 and ch1 to filter 1 etc.).

I already tried to configure the Injected Conversion mode but it didn't work. I was able to start the filter and get a single value but after that the callback function was not called anymore(As far a i know there is no continious mode so i need to trigger a conversion manually). So i tried to start the conversion again by the "HAL_DFSDM_FilterInjectedStart_DMA(&hdfsdm1_filter0, audioData ,BLOCK_SIZE)" function but it just returnd HAL_ERROR. 

My question is how exactly i can start the conversion by software? Does software trigger mean that i need to start the conversion with the "HAL_DFSDM_FilterInjectedStart_DMA(&hdfsdm1_filter0, audioData ,BLOCK_SIZE)" function each time i want to make a conversion? Or is there another function that i do not know? 

It would also be possible for me to use an external timer trigger but i couldn't find any information about how to implement that either.

Does anybody have experience with that and can help me to solve my problem ? 

Thanks!

Below you can see my DFSDM configuration and part of my user Code 

static void MX_DFSDM1_Init(void)
{

/* USER CODE BEGIN DFSDM1_Init 0 */

/* USER CODE END DFSDM1_Init 0 */

/* USER CODE BEGIN DFSDM1_Init 1 */

/* USER CODE END DFSDM1_Init 1 */
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Instance = DFSDM1_Filter0;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.InjectedParam.Trigger = DFSDM_FILTER_SW_TRIGGER;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.InjectedParam.ScanMode = ENABLE;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.InjectedParam.DmaMode = ENABLE;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.InjectedParam.ExtTrigger = DFSDM_FILTER_EXT_TRIG_TIM1_TRGO;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.InjectedParam.ExtTriggerEdge = DFSDM_FILTER_EXT_TRIG_RISING_EDGE;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.FilterParam.SincOrder = DFSDM_FILTER_SINC2_ORDER;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.FilterParam.Oversampling = 24;
 hdfsdm1_filter0.Init.FilterParam.IntOversampling = 1;
 HAL_DFSDM_FilterInit(&hdfsdm1_filter0);
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Instance = DFSDM1_Channel0;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.OutputClock.Activation = ENABLE;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.OutputClock.Selection = DFSDM_CHANNEL_OUTPUT_CLOCK_SYSTEM;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.OutputClock.Divider = 20;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.Input.Multiplexer = DFSDM_CHANNEL_EXTERNAL_INPUTS;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.Input.DataPacking = DFSDM_CHANNEL_STANDARD_MODE;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.Input.Pins = DFSDM_CHANNEL_SAME_CHANNEL_PINS;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.SerialInterface.Type = DFSDM_CHANNEL_SPI_RISING;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.SerialInterface.SpiClock = DFSDM_CHANNEL_SPI_CLOCK_INTERNAL;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.Awd.FilterOrder = DFSDM_CHANNEL_FASTSINC_ORDER;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.Awd.Oversampling = 1;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.Offset = 0;
 hdfsdm1_channel0.Init.RightBitShift = 0x00;
 if (HAL_DFSDM_ChannelInit(&hdfsdm1_channel0) != HAL_OK)
 {
	 Error_Handler();
 }
 HAL_DFSDM_FilterConfigInjChannel(&hdfsdm1_filter0, DFSDM_CHANNEL_0);
 /* USER CODE BEGIN DFSDM1_Init 2 */

/* USER CODE END DFSDM1_Init 2 */

}

void HAL_DFSDM_FilterInjConvCpltCallback(DFSDM_Filter_HandleTypeDef *hdfsdm_filter)
{
 /* Prevent unused argument(s) compilation warning */
 UNUSED(hdfsdm_filter);
 serialPrintln("nothing to do here just checking if callback function is called");

/* NOTE : This function should not be modified, when the callback is needed,
      the HAL_DFSDM_FilterInjConvCpltCallback could be implemented in the user file.
  */

}

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @TMaie.1​ , to interface 8 microphones on 4 PDM lines you could sent the microphones 2 by 2 in stereo configuration (Same Vdd, GND, CLK and DATAOUT lines, L/R at GND on for mic1-LEFT and L/R at Vdd for mic2-RIGHT). You can then set the sampling of the DATAOUT both on rising and falling edge, reconstructing this way the two microphone signals (LEFT mic on falling edge, RIGHT mic on rising edge). Regards

TMaie.1
Associate II

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. But when i use stereo mode i need to connect channel 1 to filter 1 and channel 2 to filter 2 don't I? Because one filter can only sample data from one channel as far as i know. Or how can i sample data from channel 1 and channel 2 on the same filter? In the STM32CUBEIDE i can only select one channel in the filter configuration menu at the same time

Regards

Hi @TMaie.1​ , I think you will get more support posting your question in the STM32 Community, it's more related to an MCU topic. Regards