cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB55 Difference of BLE stacks [Full/Light] in Firmware 1.5.0

BSpoe.1
Associate III

Hi,

can someone tell me the difference of the both stack versions of the new package 1.5.0 ?

Do both versions support the same functions of the HAL libraries or is there any restriction with the function calls?

I need only the advertising function (broadcast, non-connectable, undirected) for my project. My code is small enought to fit on the 256K version of the WB55 controller.

Thanks a lot,

Ben

8 REPLIES 8
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​As mentionned in the release notes, there some restriction with the function calls:

stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin

• Full BLE Stack 5.0 certified : Link Layer, HCI, L2CAP, ATT, SM, GAP and GATT database
  • BT SIG Certification listing : Declaration ID D042164

stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_light_fw.bin

• Erase/Write Flash of Wireless Stack Non Volatile Memory while BLE link is active (Min Interval 28ms)
  • Fix IFS (Inter Frame Spacing) sometimes longer than 152us
  • Wireless Ble stack Light configuration – Slave Only
  • Following features are kept:
    • GAP peripheral / LL slave
      • Double LL slave
    • GATT server
    • Data length extension
  • Following Feature are removed
    • GAP central / LL master
      • HCI interface (useless functions are removed)
    • GATT client
    • Privacy / White list
    • Secure connections
    • 2 MB / PHY update

Advertising functions (broadcast, non-connectable, undirected) are still available as they are part of the GAP peripheral / LL slave or GATT server profile.

BSpoe.1
Associate III

Then it's possible to use only the light stack for my case. What is about the certification for this stack? Is this the same like for the full stack?

Is there any document with the remaining functions? Are there example projects for the reduced firmware?

Hello Remi,

Does that mean that the full stack version do not have the "Erase/Write Flash" modification, only the light does?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

"Erase/Write Flash accesses" is supported by both stacks

The light version can be used by customers and is certified.

With the light stack I cannot use the p2pServer example. I think there are some commands that don't be available anymore. Is there an application note for the remaining functions?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The BLE Light stack only support two links, as mentioned in the release notes.

But in the app_conf.h file, the default value for the number of allowed links is 8.

#[define CFG_BLE_NUM_LINK           8

Set it to 2.

Thanks for the reply!

Am I right that the BLE Light stack hangs if this definition is not set correctly? All other functions of the initialization in the example should work?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​I did not test it but it was the most obvious potential parameters to have at least a working stack.