cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I can reproduce sound with L031E?

Melxo
Associate II

Hi, I need choose a STM32L0 microcontroller for reproduce sound, I had thought choose L031E because is smaller and it have few GPIO, but I don't know if I can reproduce sound whit it. I don't need many GPIO, that's way I though about it.

Caracteristics I need:

• 1 or 2 x I^2C conection
  • 1 x USART
  • 4 < x GPIO
  • small package like a WLCSP25

Does anyone know if I could reproduce sound with L031E?

Or

Does anyone know what is the smaller STM32L0 for reproduce sound?

I don't speak english, sorry if I do any error.

2 REPLIES 2
Danish1
Lead II

I would ask three questions:

1. How does the sound get into your system? You might need an external microphone, feeding through an appropriate amplifier to an ADC pin. Or you might only wish to play back sounds that are programmed in when you make your system.
  2. How do you store the sound? For decent sound quality you need at least 8000 samples/s. Depending how long the sound lasts, you might need a lot of memory. If you want to be able to record sounds this needs to be RAM. You could use a sound encoding system (e.g. MP3) to reduce how much memory you need, but then you need enough speed/processing power to do the decoding and maybe encoding.
  3. How do you output the sound? Do you need a DAC built into the stm32, or will you use PWM (poor quality, needs external filtering components). Then an amplifier and loudspeaker.

The answers to these should help guide your choice.

Melxo
Associate II

Hi Danish

My system wouldn't have microphone, but yes would have a small external memory (8Mb) where store files MP3 and in determinate moment reproduce by a small speaker. Everything integrated in a small gadget like a wristwatch fed with a small battery.

Microcontroller is only for read a sensor by I^2C and determine that file MP3 play by speaker depending of data read in sensor.

My doubt is if I can do it with a L031E or I need choose another.