cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to munt and cool D2PAK IGBT in power bridge

shorai
Associate III

I want to use  STGB8NC60KDT4 IGBT, 15 A 600 V, 3-Pin D2PAK (TO-263)

in a motor controlpower bridge,

The bridge will be running at 300VDC and about 3-5 amps. At this power there will be 6-12 watts dissipated in the IGBT.

I would like to cool them by screwing the board down to a suitable heatsink with the the plastic side of the IGBT in contact with the copper.

Is ths sufficient? or will I need to cool them through vias and large copper areas on both sides of the board?

Cooling on the board obviously puts many constraints on the routing and will lengthen the leads.

Is there a document that covers best practices for mounting and cooling power D2Paks?

Does anyone have experience they can share?

2 REPLIES 2
ATORN.1
Associate

How to munt and cool D2PAK IGBT in power bridge

I want to use  STGB8NC60KDT4 IGBT, 15 A 600 V, 3-Pin D2PAK (TO-263)

in a motor controlpower bridge,The bridge will be running at 300VDC and about 3-5 amps. At this power there will be 6-12 watts dissipated in the IGBT.

I would like to cool them by screwing the board down to a suitable heatsink with the the plastic side of the IGBT in contact with the copper. Is ths sufficient?-------- No because the dissipatio will be done on the frame and not on the resin

or will I need to cool them through vias and large copper areas on both sides of the board?------- We suggest this approach

Cooling on the board obviously puts many constraints on the routing and will lengthen the leads.

Is there a document that covers best practices for mounting and cooling power D2Paks?----- We don’t have

Does anyone have experience they can share?

shorai
Associate III

Thanks ATORN.1 I was hoping it would be copper bonded like the modules