cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add a USB-C connector to a custom board with a STM32F769?

MSchu.1
Associate

Hi community,

I have a STM32F769-EVAL board for which I implemented a custom bootloader using a USB2.0 flash drive.

The question now is: Can I put the same chip onto a custom board and replace the USB OTG ports (Type A) with USB Type-C connectors?

Can the chip or the library handle this scenario?

If not, what do I need to put onto my custom board that the USB-C connection is converted into an USB2.0 connection the chip can handle?

Other question: Is an USB-C flash drive smart enough to force the communication to USB2.0 (backwards compatibility) when it is connected via adapter cable (not a converter) or like mentioned above by simply replace the Type A with Type-C connectors?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JDUMA
Associate II

​Hello, chapter 10 of AN5225 explains how to migrate legacy USB device to type-C connector (even when USB power delivery is not needed).

Additionally a new device call TCPP01-M12 for Type-C Port Protection, now available at STM, is recommended to protect your port and the STM32 against high voltage surges and ESD.

Best Regards, JP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

> The question now is: Can I put the same chip onto a custom board and replace the USB OTG ports (Type A) with USB Type-C connectors?

Can the chip or the library handle this scenario?

Yes, just connect DP/DM from both sides of the USB-C connector.

It's then the same DP/DM as usually.

Most of the USB-C-related issues are related to power delivery, but that shouldn't be a substantial issue in your case. You don't need to implement the power delivery protocol and it's probably just enough to connect proper termination resistors to the CCx pins - this should be easy to look up.

(Other USB-C-related issues are related to the superspeed data transmission, but that's void in case of STM32).

> Is an USB-C flash drive smart enough

Probably yes.

JW

JDUMA
Associate II

​Hello, chapter 10 of AN5225 explains how to migrate legacy USB device to type-C connector (even when USB power delivery is not needed).

Additionally a new device call TCPP01-M12 for Type-C Port Protection, now available at STM, is recommended to protect your port and the STM32 against high voltage surges and ESD.

Best Regards, JP