cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDB008v2: No ST-LINK detected

RCler.11
Associate

Hello everyone,

I just got an IDB008v2 evaluation board and I'm having some issues setting it up and programming it.

I can flash some demo programs from the BlueNRG-2 Navigator, which works (Tera Term receives the print messages and BLE scanner app sees the advertising). But if I load the same demo programs in Keil uVison5 (build successful) and try to flash it, I get the error message "No ST-LINK" detected.

In the target options, device tab, the device is correctly identified as BlueNRG-2.

I tried connecting using the BlueNRG-1 ST-LINK Utility, but connecting to the target yields the same error: "No ST-LINK detected". I tried disconnecting/reconnecting, reinstalling the drivers, resetting the board before connecting, rebooting the computer. No change.

I'm on Windows 10

3 REPLIES 3
THANN.1
Associate

Hello,

I wanted to second this. It also happens on my machine. I can write programs via the Navigator, but neither with KEIL nor with the STLINK.

Tam

RCler.11
Associate

Hi Thann,

First, make sure of the following things:

• The ST-LINK is connected to the board AND the board is powered through USB (the ST-LINK won't power the board and the USB won't program the board)
  • Locate jumpers 1 and 2. JP1 should be in position 1-2 and JP2 in position 2-3 (this allows to power the board through USB instead of through a battery)

I discussed with the ST tech support team privately and we found a workaround for the IDB008V2.

First, you need the BlueNRG1 ST-LINK Utility which will allow you to flash the board.

Open this utility and go to Target > Settings and set the mode to "Hot Plug". Then try to Target > Connect.

If connecting doesn't work, take a cable and bridge between a VBLUE pin and the DIO7 pin, then, in that order:

• Unplug the ribbon cable and USB from the ST-LINK
  • Unplug the USB powering the IDB008V2 board
  • Replug that USB
  • Replug the ribbon cable and USB in the ST-LINK

The Utility should now be able to connect to the ST-LINK. You can program in Keil or TrueStudio, then build the project. Then, go into the Utility and open the hex or bin file from your build, then you can Target > Program the board.

Unfortunately, this workaround doesn't allow you to use either KEIL's or TrueStudio's debuggers, but you can still debug with printf and see the output in a terminal like TeraTerm (make sure your serial is configured with a rate of 115200).

I hope that helps,

Bests,

Rémi

Hello Remi,

thank you for your detailed reply - this confirms my worst fears. It looks like it is not possible to debug the BlueNRG2 at all, at least with the ST-Link. Maybe a Segger JProbe works, but these are pricey and not so easy to buy.

Either way, I was stupid. I just connected the board using the USB cable which came with it and expected it to have an integral ST-Link like a Nucleo. This one does not - my mistake, I know, but SGS could have been clearer.

Tam