cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating STM32H743 Nucleo from ST-Link to J-Link

n2wx
Senior

Has anyone succeeded at it? What did you have to do? I've found a lot of success stories about updating the ST-Link on 32F4 boards but none on the H7. When I run stlinkreflash.exe I always get

Preparing for FW update (can take up to 10 seconds)...ERROR: Cannot find an ST-LINK, multiple ST-LINKs plugged in, or ST-LINK is in use

whether on Win 10, Win 8.1, and with nothing else talking to the board it's just sitting there after enumerating as an "ST-Link Debug."

Other than this inability to switch it to a j-link I don't see anything wrong with it except it doesn't support the RTT viewer (I don't think it does, correct me if I'm wrong about that and you have my undying gratitude!) and it's comparatively flakey under TrueStudio compared to the J-Link and its gdbserver isn't as feature-rich.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Which version of the H7 Nucleo?

The ZI2 one with the ST-LINK/V3 isn't going to take the J-Link OB firmware

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Which version of the H7 Nucleo?

The ZI2 one with the ST-LINK/V3 isn't going to take the J-Link OB firmware

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you, unfortunately I have the ZI2 :( You saved me from burning any more time trying different hosts.

Do you know why it doesn't take the j-link upgrade or know if there's a viable path to j-link that doesn't involve my external j-link?

I filed a ticket with Segger and will report back what they tell me if it's more than "No it doesn't work"

The ST-LINK/V3 uses an F723 part as I recall, the ST-LINK/V2 devices an F103 (V2-1 using a larger more complex one enabling MSC and VCP interfaces)

The F723 allows for a USB-HS without an external PHY, higher rates on the SWD interface, and multi-core support.

Segger would have to do an entirely new build for this to work. Not much of a money maker for them I'm afraid.

I do have some stock of the older NUCLEO-H743ZI boards with the ST-LINK/V2-1 and Y-step H743 parts. If you're in the USA drop me an email.

Thank you for the info. Yeah I don't see Segger putting a lot into it especially since there's no money to be made doing st-link replacements. They're not that enthusiastic about doing regular tech support I've found but that might just be natural reluctance to do stuff when most of the time the tickets are user error...

Oh I DMd you I just saw your email will copy you there so we have each other's working email