cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB55 FUS update issue

Taylor.Sean
Associate II

I just received STM32WB55 Nucleo pack.

I'm going through the instructions in Projects/STM32WB_Copro_Wireless_Binaries/Release_Notes.html.

All going fine until I get to step 4:

0x20030030 : 00050300 : FUSv0.5.3 => Must be updated using STEP 5.

Next I run

STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe" -c port=usb1 -fwupgrade stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin 0x080EC000 firstinstall=0

FUS update tries twice and ends with

FUS status is FUS_IMAGE_NOT_AUTHENTIC

Error: Firmware not authentic!

Googling shows me MANY other people have had this problem, with apparently no resolution from ST. Oh, well I press on and check the FUS:

0x20030030 : 01000200 - looking OK.

STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe -c port=usb1 -fwupgrade stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_fw.bin 0x080CB000 firstinstall=1

and it ends with

Firmware Upgrade Success

I have the full log I could attach - what is with the "FUS status is FUS_IMAGE_NOT_AUTHENTIC" error ?

2 REPLIES 2
Taylor.Sean
Associate II

A related question - is there a way to determine which stack and which version is running on the M0 core ? This was not mentioned in the release notes.

Taylor.Sean
Associate II

In case anyone else runs into this problem there's a comment here (https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BWnEDnSQN/first-hand-on-nucleo-pack-and-fusimagenotauthentic-error-when-upgrading-fus-on-stm32wb55rg)

" I understand the error message is a bit misleading but this error happens when you try to update the FUS with a new one with the same version."

When I ran the FUS updater

STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe" -c port=usb1 -fwupgrade stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin 0x080EC000 firstinstall=0

It appears to have tried to program the FUS twice. The first time everything looked to work OK but it reported Warning: Firmware upgrade Error!Retrying...

It then ran a second time and ended with "Error: Firmware not authentic!"

I suspect the first reprogramming was successful and the CLI programmer retried unnecessarily, which resulted in an overwrite of the same FUS version and the misleading "Error: Firmware not authentic!" error.

In anyone else gets this misleading error I recommend just checking the FUS version with

STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe -c port=usb1 -r32 0x20030030 1

and if the response looks correct just press on and ignore the error.