cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can STM32CubeIDE be used to program a device only? The latest revs of CubeIDE work great for dev and debugging. Now I want to turn off -g, recompile, write to device program memory and unplug. How? Can CubeIDE even do this?

Sking.21
Associate III

I feel like a complete ***** but darned if I can figure out how to do it.

If I should be reading a tutorial somewhere let me know. Flames accepted gratefully.

I am using Segger J-link, on a custom board. Debug configurations work fine, programming via SWIO. It works almost too well, because I haven't learned how it works.

Possible alternatives are STM32CubeProgrammer or Segger J-link commander loadbin, but the CubeIDE must be able to just load a release binary and stand back. (?)

6 REPLIES 6
Sking.21
Associate III

Indeed so; I see issue 64277. Thank you KnarfB.

STM32CubeIDE 1.3.0 is already available: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-ides/stm32cubeide.html

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Sking.21
Associate III

Hi Amel, I tried 1.3.0 some days ago (see https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000CCqGb5SQF/130-squashes-bug-64277downloadandresetwithoutgdb-thank-you-team-however-when-disconnected-from-swio-and-poweredon-the-chip-never-starts) although I am not there yet.

-If there are any specific instructions for debuggerless download please direct me to them. I did find the release notes.

-I almost expected a new menu item or button would have appeared "Download only" or similar since that is what we want. I may not be doing something right however, hence the previous point.

-I expected a Release-build/download-only Run configuration to be immune to deliberate missetting of the gdb configuration, but it is not. Again I wonder if I am using 1.3.0 as intended.

Thank you to the team for the efforts so far; CubeIDE will be the best in the industry.

Hi @Sking.2​ ,

Thanks for your feedback. I add our STM32CubeIDE experts, they can take care of your requests: @mattias norlander​  and @Markus GIRDLAND​ .

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Sking.2​ ,

"-If there are any specific instructions for debuggerless download please direct me to them. I did find the release notes."

• The CubeIDE user manual is in progress. Not yet published. We will describe this feature there too, once it is available.

"-I almost expected a new menu item or button would have appeared "Download only" or similar since that is what we want. I may not be doing something right however, hence the previous point."

• Yes, maybe a new menu items would have been more user-friendly if one comes from IAR/Keil background. But CubeIDE comes from Eclipse and we try to align to Eclipse look&feel. For better or for worse. 🙂 From Eclipse point of view it makes sense to implement the standard "Run" button. Also the Eclipse/CDT framework simplifies this for us and give us a lot for free. Again with pros and cons.

"-I expected a Release-build/download-only Run configuration to be immune to deliberate missetting of the gdb configuration, but it is not. Again I wonder if I am using 1.3.0 as intended."

• Not sure about what you mean with immune. In the Eclipse world both the "Run function"and the "Debug function" is derived from the launch configuration (.launch-file). So this data is shared --> not immune?!

Does this answers your questions?!