cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the HSE frequency not match the chosen dev board by default?

etheory
Senior

I've noticed that when I enter the specific development board model, say for instance Nucleo-32 STM32G431 in my case, if I switch to HSE, the crystal is always set to 8Mhz, even if the crystal on the board isn't (i.e. it's 24Mhz in this case).

It would be great if the UI could be updated to additionally fill this in to match the hardware that the user has purchased.

It's the little details like this that make the software feel more approachable for users.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'd say that is a bug in the cube model for the 'G431 Nucleo board.

The Nucleo boards that I've seen get their 8MHz HSE clock from the ST-Link processor. According to the docs, the G431 Nucleo-64 has a 24MHz HSE. (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-g071rb.html)

So that's a bug in the cube model for that board.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I'd say that is a bug in the cube model for the 'G431 Nucleo board.

The Nucleo boards that I've seen get their 8MHz HSE clock from the ST-Link processor. According to the docs, the G431 Nucleo-64 has a 24MHz HSE. (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-g071rb.html)

So that's a bug in the cube model for that board.

Is there a way I can log and track a bug for the developers?

Hello,

The issue is reported internally (for both STM32CubeMX generated code and the STM32CubeG4 examples as well).

Thanks for highlighting it on the Community.

You can continue reporting the issues you face here, using the relevant topics (tags) like "Bug-Report" and "STM32CubeMX".

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello etheory,

After investigation with CubeMx developer team, it appears that it's no a bug inside CubeMx. Actually backing to the User Manual :https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00493601-stm32g4-nucleo32-board-mb1430-stmicroelectronics.pdf, it indicates the external oscillator is not connected to the STM32G431, the solder bridges being left open (see the table page 18). So the default value has no meaning. It will be up to the user to indicate what oscillator he will connect to STM32G431 osc pins.

Best Regards,

Khouloud.

Hi Khouloud,

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

As a user, what you are saying makes no sense. I would never change the crystal on the board.

It makes a lot more sense to solder the on-board crystal using the jumpers compared to de-soldering it and adding a different one.

In fact, I honestly doubt anyone would actually ever do that. That's kind of not what your boards are for....

So I'd please ask you to reconsider this.

I really think other users would appreciate it.

As for "So the default value has no meaning", again, I think it should have meaning. It would certainly make the UI that little bit easier to use.

Thanks.

Hi ethory,

It seems we are not talking about the same thing, according to my understanding your problem was with the default value of HSE displayed in the clock tree wizard and which is 8MHz (instead of 24MHz). This value is a kind of default value when not set by CubeMX. It has no meaning since if you go back to the User Manual the default SB state of external oscillator is OFF, it is up to you to configure it and set it. Here I'm not talking about changing  the crystal on the board.

BR,

Khouloud.

Hi Kholoud,

I was completely aware of what you were talking about.

I was just making a suggestion to make your software more user-friendly.

If HSE default value was set to the value of the selected board (i.e. the HSE on the board), (whether that's what's currently what's happening or not), I guarantee your users would appreciate it.

It's just a suggestion to improve your software, and make it more intuitive.

As it is currently set up, it's quite honestly confusing.

Thanks