cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use C++ linked to Cube Code generation

JKahn.1
Associate III

I am writing C++ projects using STMCubeIDE and running into a problem when using classes or other C++ features.

Even when choosing that the project be a C++ project, I can't build the code. Manually changing the file extensions to .cpp makes the code compile, but then breaks the link to generating code with STMCube. If I want to make changes to my pinout configuration I have to manually change the file names back to .c and then build the code, then manually change back to .cpp.

Is there a better way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Fact is automated code generation / update is requiring to rely on a constant file set. If renaming main.c to main.cpp automation is lost then.

Such sounds like a bad news but no issue in fact hopefully some way of working with exist (at least according my own experience) !

1) Hopefully code generation result is C++ compliant

2) IDE support C or C++ projects. Having set your target project's language (either at project creation or Thanks project contexttual "Convert to C++ / C") proper compiler is invoked based on file extensions ( .c or .cpp). And hopefully file extensions mix within a project is supported.

3) Tool suite is fine then up to you to take some care writing your code. Such may sounds like a pain but good in fact to get some structured code finally ...

Here after is my way to mix C & C++ keeping benefit of code generation / update automation. By the way no magic here just rely on your favorite search engine to get some tricks mixing C & C++ code.

Process.h file =

#ifdef __cplusplus

#define EXTERNC extern "C"

#else

#define EXTERNC

#endif

EXTERNC void doMyCppProcess(void);

#undef EXTERNC

Process.cpp file =

#include "Process.h"

extern "C" {

#include "MyCFunctionsHeader.h"

}

void doMyCppProcess(void) {

/*

* My code here

*/

}

Main.c file =

/* Private includes ----------------------------------------------------------*/

#include "Process.h"

/* USER CODE END Includes */

/**

* @brief The application entry point.

* @retval int

*/

int main(void)

{

/* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */

doMyCppProcess();

/* USER CODE END 1 */

KnarfB
Principal III

A similar discussion was here: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BcREG3SQO/how-do-i-compile-c-on-stm32cubeide

I leave the generated cod as is and call a C++ entry function (or two setup() and loop() ) right before the main loop in user code sections. Luckily the generated headers can be included from C++ code so I can use the APIs from C++.

hth

KnarfB