cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is STM32CubeIDE a tool chain? If so why does everyone including STM recommend some other tool chain in their tutorials? Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or other training source for STM32 programming?

SGill.1
Associate II

I am in the steepest part of the learning curve for C programming and am experiencing typical frustrations. I can't get "Hello World" to run at this point. I appreciate your patience. I have just ordered the Ritchie Kerighan book and another on STM32 programming.

5 REPLIES 5

The embedded "Hello, world" is loopdelay blinky.

ST's tutorials you mention are probably older than the CubeIDE, that's why they can't recommend it.

What board are you using?

JW

STM32CubeIDE is relatively new, and derived from Atollic. Tutorials and videos tend to be a trailing edge priority, expect more as the tool matures. Most toolchains do materially the same thing, if you understand one well you can leverage that into others.

A lot of us got here after learning C first, and could make a determination of what features of an IDE are actually important to success.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SGill.1
Associate II

Thank you for your reply. You just saved me hours of frustration. I have a Nucleo 64 with the STM32F401 with an X-Nucleo-1KS01A2 Motion MEMS expansion board.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> You just saved me hours of frustration.

@SGill.1 Don't worry, frustration only begins ...

Have a look at a more modern C book, 21st Century C.

For learning STM32, find a more specific book, something like this one

-- pa

Piranha
Chief II