cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

did the future version of STM32CubeMX support STemWin?

JWu.2
Associate II

Hi guys,

I'm very like the developing tools ST provided, and I feel ST have a good vision of what kind of resource will be needed by users.

Recently, I'm building a product with TFT-LCD and I picked STemWin as the graphic library going to be used by our RD team for the long term. but I noticed that "STemWin is no longer supported directly through STM32CubeMX from version 5.5.0. " in application note AN5426. I'm wondering is this condition temporary? or the STemWin will never be supported in CubeMX for the future?

I would like to know your plan about this.

so I can choose the right resource for our RD team.

thanks,

Jerry

3 REPLIES 3
berendi
Principal

STemWin requires no particular support in CubeMX, its headers and the library can be added to the project later in the development process.

If the team is already familiar with STemWin, or you already have some code based on STemWin that you can reuse in future projects, I see no reason to abandon it.

For all we know, ST might as well discontinue CubeMX next week, or make any number of changes that makes software based on HAL incompatible with the next version (as it has happened in the past a few times), the only commitment we have is that current MCUs will be available at least until end of 2028, implying that the register interface won't change. As STemWin does not depend on HAL, it seems to be a safe future-proof choice.

world04
Associate II

I am not sure if my sentence about your issues will help you but i will write them. STM32CubeMX and and the STM32CubeIDE will generate a code for you, even ST maybe will not support emWin in the future. The implementation of the Segger emWin GUI is quite easy and needs just a few lines of code to add it into a project. It's quite less complex doing this job as compared by TouchGFX. So, don't hesiate to do a copy of the emWIN Libs.

JWu.2
Associate II

thanks @berendi​ , @world04​ 

your answers had cleared my doubt.

after using emWin for a while, I can see it's a modular design and it's can be easily port to any projects.

I also found there are many MCUs ST provide which can work with emWin.

that's a great resource for us for building products(same core function, highly variation on peripheral)

so we had decided to use this combination for our future products.