cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Accelerometer Data to Make a Tilt-Compensated Compass

CGrov.1
Associate II

I'm making a tilt-compensate compass using an STM32L476RG, an MMC5983, and an LIS2HH12. I am able to get a compass heading and tilt and roll angles but the tilt compensation seems to make the compass heading error worse. I have calibrated both the magnetometer and accelerometer. Bellow are my calculations:

void calc_tilt(){

float pitch = asinf(-accel.x);
	float roll = asinf((accel.y)/ (cosf(pitch)));

accel.pitch = pitch;//rotation arond y-axis
	accel.roll = roll;//rotation around x-axis

if ((pitch == 90) || (pitch ==-90)){
		roll = 0;
	}

}

void calc_comp_field(){

mag.x_comp = mag.x*cosf(accel.pitch) + mag.z*sinf(accel.pitch);
	 mag.y_comp = mag.x*sinf(accel.pitch)*sinf(accel.roll) + mag.y*cosf(accel.roll) - mag.z*sinf(accel.roll)*cosf(accel.pitch);
	 mag.z_comp = -mag.x*cosf(accel.roll)*sinf(accel.pitch) + mag.y*sinf(accel.roll) + mag.z*cosf(accel.roll)*cosf(accel.pitch);

}

void getHead(){

float heading = 0;

if((mag.x_comp ==0)&&(mag.y_comp<0)){
		heading = 90;
	} else if ((mag.x_comp==0)&&(mag.y_comp>0)){
		heading = 0;
	}

heading = (atan2f(-mag.y_comp,mag.x_comp))*(180/M_PI);

if(heading < 0){
		heading = heading + 360;
	} else if (heading >360){
		heading = heading - 360;
	}

mag.heading = heading;

}

I also found that when I combine the accelerometer lsb and msb I need to do it opposite* (see code segment bellow for clarification on this) or it will yield a cubic gain matrix rather than a spherical one. The magnetometer functions as expected.

*code: reg_vals[I] is a register into which my data is read. it is read in the order xl, xh, yl, yh, zl, zh, so reg_vals[0] is xlsb and so on. I would expect to do (lsb<<8)|msb but this doesn't work and I am unable to get an accurate tilt measurment but I found that msb<<8|lsb works fine. Any idea where I'm giong wrong?

float Ax_Raw = ((int16_t)(reg_vals[1]<<8) | reg_vals[0]);
float Ay_Raw = ((int16_t)(reg_vals[3]<<8) | reg_vals[2]);
float Az_Raw = ((int16_t)(reg_vals[5]<<8) | reg_vals[4]);

4 REPLIES 4
turboscrew
Senior III

The endianness only applies to memory, not processor registers. Also, it would be a good habit to cast the result to float too, before assignment.

float Ax_Raw = (float)((int16_t)(reg_vals[1]<<8) | reg_vals[0]);

I'd also output the readouts to verify the chip orientations.

I verified the chip orientation and double checked that it matched the other chip. Still no joy. When I tilt it, the un-compensated value changes in the same direction (either increasing or decreasing the heading) but to a lesser degree so it is slightly more accurate than the "compensated" value. This has me thinking that maybe I am compensating in the "wrong" direction, making the heading error worse. I've tried playing around with the sign of the compensated values but still nothing.

raptorhal2
Lead

In axis transformations, sequence is important. I believe you need to roll before you pitch.

Cheers, Hal

can you clarify what you mean? In my calc_tilt() function I need to calculate pitch first, as that value is used to calculate roll.