cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having problems with Nucleo F302R8 with the IHM08M1 driver board to run a motor using the X-Cube SPN8 6-step algorithm?

MBlan.1
Associate

We are currently using a Nucleo F302R8 with the IHM08M1 driver board and the Bull Running BR2804 motor provided with the development kit. We are using ST's X-Cube SPN8, 6-step software and compiled it, unmodified, with Keil MDK 5. Unfortunately, the dev boards and code won’t run the motor. It tries to spin up the motor for a few seconds and then the motor becomes erratic and shuts off. (see attached video) We submitted an ST technical support request 12 days ago but so far no help has occurred. We tried this on (2) different sets of boards with the same results.

3 REPLIES 3
Claire O.
ST Employee

dear MBlan.1,

I will check if someone can help you but unfortunatly this code is not maintained any more. We are now moving 6 -step algorithm into the MCSDK, but it's not yet availavle for F3 platform ( only G4, F4 and StspinF0 examples are available)

Could you consider to use FOC instead of 6 step? In such case, we have code now matching your boards.

Thanks and best regards,

Claire

MBlan.1
Associate

Hi Claire,

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I should have reached out to the Community forums before going through ST's support site-- you are quicker and better informed. However, it is disappointing that it seems that ST won't fix this code as it is not being maintained anymore. We have invested many months of work into this project only to find that compiling the X-cube-SPN8 source files produces code that won't successfully run a motor. At a minimum, I would expect ST to at least fix their broken code base. It's one thing to end support for a 'working' application and quite another to continue to offer a reference design that is broken.

As an alternative plan, we will investigate using FOC for this board set. Can you direct me to the FOC code that runs on the Nucleo F302R8 and IHM08M1 boards?

Regards,

Mike

Claire O.
ST Employee

Hello Mike,

you can find the FOC code at the following address: https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/x-cube-mcsdk.html

It's part of the MCSDK.

There is no exact code example that match 100% your requirement ( only Nucleo-F303RE + IHM08M1+ Bulllrunning motor, 3-shunt, Sensorless)

But that is not a problem as you can generate the code using the MC workbench, choosing your exact configuration (Nucleo F302R8 is supported)

About the 6-step, we plan to release mid 2020 a new MCSDK with better support.

Thanks and best regards,

Claire