cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device that assigns programs to the empty processor ?

Hi world!
Associate III

Hello friends,

We use ST-Link when assigning programs to STM8 processors. ST-Link uses the SWIM leg when assigning programs to STM8 processors. We all know that.

I want to make a device. Special bootloader. This device should be able to assign programs to STM operators that do not have programs in the device.

But I don't have a protocol to throw a program into the empty processor. Is there such a protocol? Is such a device possible? Where can we obtain a protocol?

Thanks, good work ..

15 REPLIES 15
Ozone
Lead

> We use ST-Link when assigning programs to STM8 processors. ST-Link uses the SWIM leg when assigning programs to STM8 processors.

Your terminology is ... peculiar. Googel-translate ?

There is a multitude of threads regarding custom bootloaders on this forum, mainly the STM32 section.

A custom Bootloader is basically a normal application that two things:

-> jump to a present main application; or

-> load updates, and program (Flash) them;

Sorry, yeah google-translate 🙂

I made a custom bootloader before. I want to make a device like st-link.

So, something like this: http://openocd.org/

Thank you for sharing link..

Yes, like this. But something simpler is what I want to do.

For example, to program the processor with st-link,

> We upload the hex file to the STVP program.

> Then we send the program to the processor by pressing the relevant button.

It is easy to send the program uploaded to STVP to the st-link device.

What I really want to reach is what kind of protocol it is when assigning a program from the st-link to the processor.

So how is it programmed with SWIM pin even though there is no program in the processor? It is clear that there is a protocol. But where?

I don't know ST's SWIM interface/protocol in detail. Most probably a proprietary hardware/protocol, before the advent of JTAG.

Cortex M use JTAG, it a reduced version named SWD. It operates on hardware on the target, which operates in parallel and independant of the core itself.

And it is usually everything else but simple.

You mean like a stand alone​ production programmer?

https://www.segger.com/products/production/flasher-st/models/flasher-stm8/

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I understand. Thank you for reply..

Yes, I want to make a similar device. No need to debug. It is enough to program the processor.

But I do not know exactly how to proceed.

Contact local ST sales/support and see if you can get the protocol documentation.​

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..