cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does X-CUBE-SBSFU support the external flash on the SPI ?

MGowd.11
Associate II

Does X-CUBE-SBSFU support the external flash on the SPI for the secure boot and secure firmware updates ? If yes could you please provide more details if there is any reference boards which has this support. 

Thanks in Advance,

Best Regards,

Gowda

5 REPLIES 5
Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hello Gowda,

in the latest release of SBSFU (2.3.0) you have an example addressing external OctoSPI flash trough On The Fly decoder.

this is the project:

STM32CubeExpansion_SBSFU_V2.3.0\Projects\STM32H7B3I-DK\Applications\2_Images_ExtFlash

Best regards

Jocelyn

MGowd.11
Associate II

​Hello Jocelyn,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any example reference with the normal SPI mode supporting the external flash on STM32L496 in SBSFU 2.3.0?

If not, is it straightforward to integrate the existing external flash memory drivers on STM32L496 application to the bootloader SBSFU ? are there any risks in adapting to secure boot environment ? If would be helpful if you can throgh some light on this feasiblity and necessary steps to be taken care. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Gowda

Hello Jocelyn,

Thanks for the reply, by mistake I missed to use "reply" while writing to you, I am writing my question again.

Is there any example reference with the normal SPI mode supporting the external flash on STM32L496 in SBSFU 2.3.0?

If not, is it straightforward to integrate the existing external flash memory drivers on STM32L496 application to the bootloader SBSFU ? are there any risks in adapting to secure boot environment ? If would be helpful if you can throgh some light on this feasiblity and necessary steps to be taken care. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Gowda

Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hello Gowda,

There is no such example SPI mode in SBSFU.

The issue is that firmware code will be in clear in the external flash. We cannot promote such setup.

Now, if you still want to go this way, you have QSPI example in the STM32L4 Cube FW.

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.15.0\Projects\32L496GDISCOVERY\Examples\QSPI\

And for integration with SBSFU you can take the STM32H7B3I-DK as example, removing the management of the key used for On The Fly Decoding.

Best regards

Jocelyn

Hello Jocelyn,

Thanks for the reply and your suggestions, We will look into the references mentioned. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Gowda