cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any plans for MCU that has STM32F407 specs, but has CAN-FD interfaces instead of CAN?

Alexander Novikov
Associate II

12 REPLIES 12

I doubt this design is going to be revisited. Talk to local sales staff/engineers.

Review new parts for commonality of foot-print, 144-pin devices have generally had the best migration path.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

STM32G474 has no ethernet but CANFD. Did you look at the new STM32H7 variant?

Alexander Novikov
Associate II

Yes, but, STM32H7 is too overloaded with features I dont need.

Alexander Novikov
Associate II

Generally I need Cortex-M4, >120Mhz, USB FS, CAN-FD (at least 2), and Ethernet MAC. STM32F407 is closest. I see all new MCUs (G0/G4/L5 lines) now utilize CAN-FD instead of old CAN, but have no Ethernet. So I expect some new chip like STM32F407 with CAN-FD. Microchip already has SAME54 - this one is exacly what I am looking for. But SAME54 has lots of drawbacks on overall design of the other chip peripherals (DMA, clocks, timers, ADC etc...)

TDK
Guru

So the STM32H7 has everything you need but you don't want to use it because it's "overloaded with features"? How is that a problem? Why not use what you want and leave the other features untouched?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Alexander Novikov
Associate II

The problem is its price

TDK
Guru

On Digikey (qty 1):

STM32F407 is $9.29

STM32H745 is $11.71

I doubt they're going to introduce a new line of chips between those two price points.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Alexander Novikov
Associate II

On our local distributor

STM32F407ZGT6 is about 5$

STM32H745 11$

Given the cost of all the other bits in a project (including the major one of time and effort writing and debugging the code), that sort of price-difference is negligible for small production runs (say 10 units).

And for larger production runs I'm sure you'll be able to get a better price. I've even known cases where the the price difference reverses in sufficient quantity.

Having said that, I've been trying to port some code from stm32f7 to stm32h7 for a long time and I'm still hitting differences.

Regards,

Danish