cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H745: How to program and debug only the M4 core using MDK-ARM 5.16a?

DerekR
Senior

Hello,

I am trying to program and debug only the M4 core of the STM32H745 processor using MDK-ARM v5.16a. I understand that dual core debug support was added in MDK-ARM v5.25, but I don't see why I can't treat each core separately for now. A few details:

MDK-ARM v5.16a

Board: NUCLEO-H745ZI-Q

ST-Link V2 Debug Probe (External since MDK-ARM doesn't support V3)

Software Example: STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.6.0\Projects\NUCLEO-H745ZI-Q\Examples\WWDG\WWDG_Example

Note that with MDK-ARM (Keil uVision) 5.16, I cannot see or select the STM32H7xx_CM4.FLM or STM32H7xx_CM7.FLM flash loaders. The only flash loader I can select is STM32H7x_2048.FLM. When I try to flash the M4 variant of the above example I am presented with the following in Keil uVision:

Load "STM32H745ZI_Nucleo_CM4\\Exe\\STM32H745ZI_Nucleo_CM4.axf"

Cannot Write to RAM for Flash Algorithms !

Erase Failed!

Error: Flash Download failed - "Cortex-M4"

Flash Load finished at 16:34:26

I have tried updating all my flash and memory addresses to match application note AN5286 as defined in Section 5: Using MDK-ARM - https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group1/96/bf/35/36/e6/97/42/2e/DM00597308/files/DM00597308.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00597308.pdf

What am I missing? Must I upgrade to a newer version of Keil uVision to program and debug the M4 core?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Imen Ezzine
ST Employee

Hi droberson,

From looking at your problem, If you can't see or select the STM32H7xx_CM4.FLM or STM32H7xx_CM7.FLM flash loaders then maybe you have an old package installed or it wasn't installed correctly.

I advise you to update the pacakge you have for H7 family from MDK-arm (or you can download it from keil web site here)

I did verify and I can see the needed .FLM declared in the latest pack for H7 : Keil.STM32H7xx_DFP.2.5.0.pack

If you upgrade the package you use you don't have to upgrade to a newer version of Keil uVision.

I hope this help to solve your problem.

-Imen

>>Must I upgrade to a newer version of Keil uVision to program and debug the M4 core?

5.16 is pretty antiquated.

5.31 is most current, with support for H7 and ST-LINK/V3

http://www.keil.com/files/eval/MDK531.EXE

Sorry looks like a 6 month old post being poked

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
DerekR
Senior

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a license for the newer version of Keil, hence why I was looking for an alternate solution. I ended up using System Workbench for STM32. @Imen Ezzine​ looks like he may have a solution so I will remember this in the future.

Thanks!