cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting brand new ST25DV64K chip

Rajeev Piyare
Associate III

Hi,

I have just bought couple of brand new  ST25DV64K chips and mounted them on ANT7-T-ST25DV04K board, replacing the 4K version with the 64K one.

Then, I read the tag out with the NFC Tap APP and got PRODUCT_UNKNOWN on my screen as shown in the screenshots. I though maybe the chipset is not initialized out of the factory, so I wrote some data on the chip with the APP. However, still I get the same issue, but I am able to read and write on the chip successfully. The memory size on the app shows 1B and block size -1.

Next, I connected the chip via the I2C of the ARM Cortex and ran the demo application. I am able to read out the ID of the chip (38 or 0x26h) and the Memory size (8192) correctly while the size does not show correctly on the app.

Am I missing something or the chip needs to be formatted in some way?

Thanks

Rajeev

0690X00000BwdSiQAJ.jpg

0690X00000BwdSdQAJ.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
victor laraison
ST Employee

​Hi rajeev,

You didn't miss much !!!

For 64K memory tag, we have found an issue in iOS13 that does not return correct memory size for tag > 16K. We have logged a ticket to Apple for fixing it. ticket is still Open.

As our application is based on memory size for checking Product Name, this is why you get "Product Unknown" and no associated Tag menu in "More" tab item.

We are delivering a workaround in next release of iSO NFC Tap for at least displaying ST25DV contextual menu.

Today, the only fix is to detect a ST25DV04K for getting ST25DV contextual menus , then to change tag in 64K and play with submenu in "More" items.

Sorry for inconvenience.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
victor laraison
ST Employee

​Hi rajeev,

You didn't miss much !!!

For 64K memory tag, we have found an issue in iOS13 that does not return correct memory size for tag > 16K. We have logged a ticket to Apple for fixing it. ticket is still Open.

As our application is based on memory size for checking Product Name, this is why you get "Product Unknown" and no associated Tag menu in "More" tab item.

We are delivering a workaround in next release of iSO NFC Tap for at least displaying ST25DV contextual menu.

Today, the only fix is to detect a ST25DV04K for getting ST25DV contextual menus , then to change tag in 64K and play with submenu in "More" items.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Hi @victor laraison_O​ ​ 

Thanks for the feedback. At first glance, I thought I was doing something terribly wrong and maybe that's why the correct tag size was not picked up by the APP. The workaround that you mentioned above, I did try them out earlier. The fact that I can read and write to the tag, solves my issues for now but will definitely look forward to the fixes on the iOS side and the newer version of the APP as the final product will require this.

Thanks once again...