cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MLC supported in LSM6DSOX accelerometer ultra-low power mode?

HFenz
Associate II

Is it possible to use accelerometer in low power-, or ultra-low power mode in combination

with MLC?

All current calculations, i found were based on the 170µA of accelerometer in high performance mode.

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @HFenz​ , since the MLC blocks and the data acquisition block configuration are separated, you can set your device in LP mode and enable the MLC block. As reported in the , you have to pay attention that the rate of the input data must be equal to or higher than the MLC data rate configurable through the embedded function register EMB_FUNC_ODR_CFG_C (60h. Example: In an activity recognition algorithm running at 26 Hz, the Machine Learning Core ODR must be selected at 26 Hz, while the sensor ODRs must be equal to or higher than 26 Hz. 

Note also that, since the LSM6DSOX MLC works on data patterns that come from the accelerometer and gyro sensors, if you work in low power mode you will loose in resolution. Please consider also that the overall MLC consumption is only a small fraction of the whole sensor consumption.

Regards

HFenz
Associate II

Hi Eleon BORLINI, thanks for the answer!

Ok, i understand that i have to pay attention on the right ODR of the accelerometer.

You also wrote that data patterns come from accelerometer and gyro sensors, and that the MLC consumtion is only a small fraction of the whole sensor consumption.

I agree with this, when considering gyroscope power consumption.

But when i only want to use the accelerometer in (ultra-)low power mode (and gyro in power down mode) , the current is listed with 26µA for 50Hz ODR.

And just 9.5µA for accelerometer in ultra-low power mode (seen in datasheet of LSM6DSOX)

And additional current consumption for a few examples is listed in the application note AN5259 (from 1 to 13µA).

So the currents for acceleration sensor and MLC are in the same area of a few microamps, arent they?

Regards

HFenz