cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans for a "Hello TouchGFX World" project tutorial?

Asantos
Senior

I want to start with TouchGFX, but I see too much people in this forum struggling to do a basic project for a development boards from ST. I imagine how hard it should be a custom board.

Has ST plans to release a basic step by step tutorial showing how to do a basic project for the STM32F746G Discovery board?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Just use the F746G-DISCO application template. Here, let me exemplify, for good measure.

1) Select V3 of the F746G-DISCO template. It has an .ioc file that works with CubeMX 5.5 / TouchGFX Generator, has the correct LTDC GPIO configuration for the display, and has all the additional code to setup QSPI and SDRAM and linker script to place image and font assets in external flash.

Generally, the application templates are supposed to be easy to use because we've done all the work for you. You can find any additional work done in C-code inside CubeMX generated USER CODE sections.

0690X00000BwJc9QAF.png

2) Create a stunningly beautiful application, like the one i did below with a button and a background box. Press "Generate code"

3) Press "Run target"

4) Enjoy your running application!

5) Open up the .ioc file in Cubemx 5.5, if you want and make some modifications to hardware configuration.

0690X00000BwJcJQAV.jpg

/Martin

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Just use the F746G-DISCO application template. Here, let me exemplify, for good measure.

1) Select V3 of the F746G-DISCO template. It has an .ioc file that works with CubeMX 5.5 / TouchGFX Generator, has the correct LTDC GPIO configuration for the display, and has all the additional code to setup QSPI and SDRAM and linker script to place image and font assets in external flash.

Generally, the application templates are supposed to be easy to use because we've done all the work for you. You can find any additional work done in C-code inside CubeMX generated USER CODE sections.

0690X00000BwJc9QAF.png

2) Create a stunningly beautiful application, like the one i did below with a button and a background box. Press "Generate code"

3) Press "Run target"

4) Enjoy your running application!

5) Open up the .ioc file in Cubemx 5.5, if you want and make some modifications to hardware configuration.

0690X00000BwJcJQAV.jpg

/Martin

Asantos
Senior

Thanks Martin, I will try it out.

Another question: Is There a way to install the F746G-DISCO template offline? My work machine only has Internet access via Virtual Machine.

Sure, i can share the application template here and you can simply drop it into app/packages of your TouchGFX Designer installation folder. Give me a few minutes.

0690X00000BwKTDQA3.png

Asantos
Senior

Martin,

How to install the template you've posted, into the TOUCHGFX directory?

I extracted the STM32F746_DISCO-3.0.0.zip to this files:

package.json

STM32F746-back.png

STM32F746-front.png

STM32F746G_DISCO.zip

I also extracted the STM32F746G_DISCO.zip and didn't find any file with the extension .tpa to put in the directory TouchGFX/4.13.0/app/template

Asantos
Senior

Martin,

I did a new project with the TouchGFX designer using the STM32F746G_DISCO (V3.0.0) template and the ProgressIndicator Example (V2.0.0) as UI.

Pressing the button "Run Target" The code is loaded in my F746 Disco board and run ok.

I pressed the button " Generate Code".

I opened the STM32F746G_DISCO.IOC using the STM32CubeMX V5.5.0, when press "Generate Code" button, STM32CubeIDE V1.2.0 open and when I try to build the code i got the message:

make: *** No rule to make target '../Application/User/gui/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.cpp', needed by 'Application/User/gui/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.o'. Stop.

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Using the EWARM:

If I change the IDE to the EWARM in the STM32CubeMX, It also generates compiler errors:

cannot open source file "C:\TouchGFXProjects\MyApplication_2\TouchGFX\generated\fonts\src\Font_Asap_Regular_20_4bpp_0.cpp" 

cannot open source file "C:\TouchGFXProjects\MyApplication_2\TouchGFX\generated\fonts\src\Kerning_Asap_Regular_20_4bpp.cpp" 

cannot open source file "C:\TouchGFXProjects\MyApplication_2\TouchGFX\gui\src\screen1_screen\Screen1Presenter.cpp" 

cannot open source file "C:\TouchGFXProjects\MyApplication_2\TouchGFX\gui\src\screen1_screen\Screen1View.cpp" 

cannot open source file "C:\TouchGFXProjects\MyApplication_2\TouchGFX\generated\gui_generated\src\screen1_screen\Screen1ViewBase.cpp" 

cannot open source file "C:\TouchGFXProjects\MyApplication_2\TouchGFX\generated\fonts\src\Table_Asap_Regular_20_4bpp.cpp" 

Can you describe a sequence that don't generate compiler errors?

I believe I am having the same problem as other users.

You need to press "Generate code" in designer every time you change IDE/compiler in cubemx, because otherwise the touchgfx designer won't know what project to update or "inject" the application files into

/Martin

I assume you found out - I posted the installation instructions in the post just above.

That was only for the "cannot open source files" errors

I'm investigating the others one now (LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter)