cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Register modification during debug possible ?

NGOLA.1
Associate II

Is-it possible during a debug session to modify general registers (e.g r3 ) .

Context: Win 7 host with Virtual Box 6.0.4 for client Ubuntu 18.04 running STM32CubeIDE 1.2.0 on the integrated debugger of the Nucleo demoboard with STM32F412ZG

Help Center tells:

"In the Registers view, right-click a register and click Change Register Value."

but the screenshot below ( french version ) shows cut/copy/paste/delete/select all/ and the last but not the least "Insert an Emoji" ! ( after right click around the register value)

0690X00000BwGzAQAV.pngAfter a right click on the register name r3 I have a english menu this time !

0690X00000BwH0SQAV.png

Modification through "Watch" is also not possible.

Colleagues told me it was possible with Attolic to modify general registers during debug.

Many thanks in advance for any hints

7 REPLIES 7
NGOLA.1
Associate II

Indeed it works but you have to make a "Paste" with the modified value. It is not very convenient...

With other Eclipse-based IDEs, one often has to double-click on the (register) value.

No, double-click does not work for me. No sign of an "edition mode" available.

The debugger functionality seems very specific, even with very similar looking Eclipse IDEs.

I use CCS (TI) and Tasking VX (C166 derivates) who both support the mentioned method.

Double-click at the level just opens an input field with the current value as default.

I agree that this is generally the case. I worked with other Eclipse base IDE for other embedded µCs and double-click change was common. Now here I do not know if it is a limitation of STM32CubeIDE 1.2.0 or if it is a side effect of my configuration.

NGOLA.1
Associate II

The limitation was not only on General Registers but also on any place where you can modify a value ( variable or registers ...)

The same problem was seen also on the recently released 1.3.0

BUT I discovered that the blinds were blissful !!

You can modify whatever you want:

*Just click with the mouse on the left side on the value

*type blindly as many figures you want and then hit the ENTER key !

if a value is 123 and you want it to be 5, click on the left of the 1 and type SPACE SPACE 5 and hit enter !

Any comments by ST reps ???? :-((

Hello.

In 1.4.2 it does not work even for blinds. I was trying to change SP register, no luck. Even in debugger console set $sp=(void *) 0x200000a8 does not work.