cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image format L8 performance

jimmii
Senior II

Hi there

Today I wanted to try the L8 image format. After generating the assets I flashed the STM32H750-DK.

I have a startupscreen with a fade transistion. Now with the L8 image format the screen is stuttering a lot. I also have a scroll list, which is not usable because of the delay.

I this behaviour to be expected?

Is there anything to be done to use L8 image format?

One side note: I have deactivated caching until our development is finished. When D-Cache is activated, the performance is a lot better.

Thanks for your help @Martin KJELDSEN​ =)

14 REPLIES 14
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @Roman Schläpfer​,

Could you look around for other L8 threads? I posted some code in there to enable your DMA class to handle L8 images. Stuttering is probably related to the fact that ChromART is not being used at all right now.

Generally we enable I and D-cache on MCUs that support them and also invalidate these caches throughout (actually only D-cache) our code to ensure correct content of the framebuffer.

/Martin

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

I should mention that this kind of behavior when using L8 will be supported by the TouchGFX Generator as soon as we can.

/Martin

jimmii
Senior II

Thanks @Martin KJELDSEN​ . Fast support, as always. I will have look at it.

Regards

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Thanks @Roman Schläpfer​, let me know how you do!

/Martin

scottSD
Senior III

FYI this thread is related to the following one. I added new steps to utilize Martin's ChromArtDMA with newer versions of the tools:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000007XLbHSAW/why-does-animating-an-l8-image-take-significantly-longer-than-a-standard-image?t=1591218454283

Thanks @scottSD​ 

Hi @Martin KJELDSEN​ 

Any news on this? Is this now supported in the 4.14.0 release or what's the ETA?

Cheers /jimmii

Dd.31
Associate II

What is the L8 image file format?