cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F746g - syntax error: unterminated quoted string

JGonz.2
Associate II

I am trying to set up a simple project in STM32CubeIDE + TouchGFX and it returns me the following error: c:

/st/stm32cubeide_1.1.0/stm32cubeide/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.make.win32_1.1.0.201910081157/ tools / bin / sh: syntax error: unterminated quoted string

I already followed this tip from Martin:

"The issue was simply copying" \ Middlewares \ ST \ TouchGFX \ touchgfx \ framework \ source \ platform \ "into the Library Path settings. If you select the folder through" Add ..-> Workspace " it should be correct and not cause an error. " But it did not work.

I tested CubeMX + TouchGFX + Ac6, CubeMX + TouchGFX + Atollic and two different versions of STM32CubeIDE (1.1.0 and 1.2.0). All unsuccessful attempts. Bugs after creating the GUI project or changing the user's own code in the comment protected area are the most common. I am using CubeMX 5.3.0 and TouchGFX 4.13.

Honestly it is very frustrating to try to use the official tools of ST and come across so many bugs.

14 REPLIES 14
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Start by telling me how you created this project.

Then upgrade CubeMX to 5.5.0 (5.3 is really old) since CubeIDE project generation works here (it didn't previously) and try again.

If you're using F746g-DISCO (unclear) then you can simply use the designer to create a project for this board. Open the ioc file to generate whatever project you want (cubeide, ewarm, mdkarm)

/Martin

JGonz.2
Associate II

Start by telling me how you created this project.

STM32CubeIDE 1.1.0 (or older) way:

1. Open STM32CubeIDE;
  2. Create a project to STM32F746g-disco;
  3. In Middleware select Graphics->TouchGFX
  4. Select TouchGFX.exe (4.13 version)
  5. Click in "Execute" to open TouchFGX Designer and create a simple GUI
  6. Generate Code from simple GUI in TouchFGX Designer
  7. Close TouchFGX Designer, go to STM32CubeIDE back
  8. Generate Code in STM32CubeIDE
  9. Go to TouchGFX folders, Exclude from Build simulator folders
  10. Build Project in STM32CubeIDE

CubeMx + other IDE way

1. Open STM32CubeIMX;
  2. Create a project to STM32F746g-disco;
  3. In Middleware select Graphics->TouchGFX
  4. Select TouchGFX.exe (4.13 version)
  5. Click in "Execute" to open TouchFGX Designer and create a simple GUI
  6. Generate Code from simple GUI in TouchFGX Designer
  7. Close TouchFGX Designer, go to STM32CubeMX back
  8. Generate Code in STM32CubeMX
  9. Open IDE (Ac6 or Atollic in my case)
  10. Go to TouchGFX folders, Exclude from Build simulator folders
  11. Build Project in IDE

Then upgrade CubeMX to 5.5.0 (5.3 is really old) since CubeIDE project generation works here (it didn't previously) and try again.

I tried use this version, but the error "Paxca not required for rgb565" makes me downgrade CubeMx version.

If you're using F746g-DISCO (unclear) then you can simply use the designer to create a project for this board. Open the ioc file to generate whatever project you want (cubeide, ewarm, mdkarm)

Looks simple when you talk, but ST tools has many bugs.

JGonz.2
Associate II

Ok, no answer yet, nice. Just to update: reading comments from this TouchGFX video, I saw this "Don't try to build with "Generate peripheral initalization as a pait of c./.h files per peripheral". Project will not build!"

This option broke my code many times. If I keep this option uncheckd, my proejct build succesfully.

There are other bugs, such as "Paxca not required for rgb565" in STM32CubeIDE 1.2 and in CubeMX 5.5.

We have to make many manual configurations (Exclud Simulator folders from Build, enable touch screen).

Unfortunately this tool (TouchGFX) is awful in integration with other ST softwares, and looks like they have just one engineer.

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

> Ok, no answer yet, nice. J

Are you trying to tell me something?

I try to spend as much time as i can on this community to try to help with issues. We know there are issues and have tried to remedy integration by creating our own product that integrates with CubeMX. (TouchGFX Generator as part of the new X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX package).

> There are other bugs, such as "Paxca not required for rgb565" in STM32CubeIDE 1.2 and in CubeMX 5.5.

Why would you call this a bug? It's information from the generator to YOU, that you don't need PaxCA blending factor for rgb565.

Look, i'm very busy, generally. and I have little to no patience for insults or passive aggressiveness. So i'd rather spend my time helping someone who appreciates it.

/Martin

JGonz.2
Associate II

> Are you trying to tell me something?

All of us hobbyists and students are frustrated with the TouchGFX experience, sorry about that, but it's true.

> Why would you call this a bug? It's generator information for you that you don't need the PaxCA mix factor for rgb565.

I tried to change this setting, but no success. Because of this, the code cannot be generated. How can I change this?

> Look, I'm very busy, usually. and I have little or no patience for insults or passive aggression. So I prefer to spend my time helping someone who appreciates it.

I know, I can see your hard work, as I said, it looks like you're the only ST engineer here.

I just want to create and develop my project without having to deal with problems every time I update it.

Sorry for the outburst, but I'm trying to make my project work for days.

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

> I tried to change this setting, but no success. Because of this, the code cannot be generated. How can I change this?

What did you try? If i have RGB565 pixel format in my LTDC and can remove the warning if i select "Alpha Constant" as the blending factor instead of Alpha Constant x Pixel Alpha.

You should be able to generate code regardless, even if you get a warning from CubeMX.

> As I said, it looks like you're the only ST engineer here.

We're a team of 12, but that doesn't mean everyone spends time here or are required to. I'm in charge of community support.

Why don't you just use the Application Template for F746G-DISCO (version 3) that we've prepared with all the right settings and code? Creating a project from scratch using CubeMX is never going to be super easy.

/Martin

JGonz.2
Associate II

>What did you try? If i have RGB565 pixel format in my LTDC and can remove the warning if i select "Alpha Constant" as the blending factor instead of Alpha Constant x Pixel Alpha.

This tip works for me. Thanks.

>Why don't you just use the Application Template for F746G-DISCO (version 3) that we've prepared with all the right settings and code? Creating a project from scratch using CubeMX is never going to be super easy.

I want to create a complete project with integration between hardware (ADCs, GPIOs, serial interfaces) and TouchGFX application. Is there any material about this?

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Are you basing yourself on an existing STM32 board? If so, you can use the application templates if they have an .ioc file - Let me know which board and i'll tell you. Then you can just use CubeMX and TouchGFX designer and other tools interchangeably.

The sticky at the top in this forum has information on integrating hardware with your TouchGFX application.

JGonz.2
Associate II

Thanks Martin, your tips are great.

Update: I don't know why, but in STM32CubeIDE 1.2.0 my code keep generates​ this error "syntax error: unterminated quoted string".

I switched back to Cube 1.1.0, my code works now.

Other issues appears, like FLASH overflow, but I resolved.

I have many doubts about how to use Canvas Widgets and Hardware integration, however I will post in another thread. You can close this thread guys, thank you.​