cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOOT0/NRST control with DTR/RTS

jefflongo
Associate III

Is it possible to use the DTR/RTS pins of a UART bridge (such as FT232RL) to automate entering the bootloader in system memory for flashing firmware using STM32CubeProgrammer? Has anybody achieved this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jefflongo
Associate III

As it turns out, I discovered DTR (if inverted) can be used for BOOT0, and RTS for NRST. This didn't work properly in the GUI version, but in the command line interface it did in fact work.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jefflongo
Associate III

As it turns out, I discovered DTR (if inverted) can be used for BOOT0, and RTS for NRST. This didn't work properly in the GUI version, but in the command line interface it did in fact work.

Thanks for the information.

This really ought to go into the documentation ( @Imen DAHMEN​ can you please have a look at this); and also ought to work in the GUI.

JW

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello,

I will raise this issue internally for check. We will come back to you soon with update.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
TVan .2
Associate II

@Imen DAHMEN​ any answer yet how to do this and with what tool? So auto reset and auto bootloader with dtr and rts?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

For example, the H750 board from this thread has USB to RS232 adapter wired to NRST and BOOT0.

The schema is posted in the thread.

-- pa

Dear

This is DTR and DTS, my FT234XD doesn't have those. Only RTS and DTR.

Does this method work without any special software?

Greetings

Thomas Van Aken

jefflongo
Associate III

I was able to find a solution by writing a program which uses the FT232R GPIO to control NRST and BOOT0, calling STM32CubeProgrammerCLI. Pretty good software independent solution to me.​

TV
Associate II

I know this is an old thread, but could somebody tell me if this works now in STM32CubeProgrammer? Or if the FT232R GPIO control program is available somewhere?

Hi,

Not sure if this works in STM32CubeProgrammer yet, but I was able to come up with a workaround, see here: https://github.com/jefflongo/stm32handsfree