cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I migrate STM32 project based on CubeMX5.4.0(WithTouchGFX 4.12.3, on custom hardware) to CubeMX5.5.0 (TouchGFX 4.13.0)

JJoha.2
Associate III

When I tried to open my existing project for the first time in CubeMX 5.5.0, it gives me a pop up window (See attached)

But I can't click the link that is refered in the window "Stm32cubemx_gfx_mw_migration) note.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Since the document is restricted internally, i've adapted it to suit this community software:

Please note that this is only in the event that you have a CubeMX 5.4.0 project (which has the TouchGFX middleware component) and you wish to updgrade to CubeMX 5.5.0 (Which does not have this component). I think migrating from 5.4 to 5.5 with no TouchGFX MIddleware would work fine.

Generally, read this article on X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX 4.13.0 for links to installation and usage:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BwjU6pSQE/official-release-xcubetouchgfx-v4130

Here it is:

Migrating a Graphics Middleware projects from CubeMX 5.4.0 to CubeMX 5.5.0

As of CubeMX version 5.5.0 “Graphics Framework�? options are unavailable from the Middleware section of CubeMX. This document describes how to migrate CubeMX 5.4.0 projects that use the Graphics Middleware (STemWin or TouchGFX) to CubeMX 5.5.0 which, in the case of TouchGFX, requires the X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX “TouchGFX Generator�? to be installed and activated separately through “Additional Software�?. STemWin is no longer supported directly through CubeMX.

0690X00000BvmEJQAZ.png

This message instructs you to “import�? the Peripheral Configuration of the 5.4.0 project from a new CubeMX 5.5.0 using the same STM32 Micro Controller as the 5.4.0 project (A warning will be issued otherwise).

0690X00000BvmEnQAJ.png

Navigate to the 5.4.0 project using the Import function after which a list of available Peripherals is presented. Once the desired peripheral configurations are imported, follow the instructions for either TouchGFX or STemWin in the sections below.

0690X00000BvmF7QAJ.png

CubeMX 5.5.0 and X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX

CubeMX version 5.5.0 saw the removal of most of these restrictions allowing users to configure TouchGFX for practically any STM32 micro (With the exception STM32H747 dual core MCU for which the “Additional Software�? option is unavailable). You can read more about how to create TouchGFX applications using any display interface on any memory configuration in this article on TouchGFX HAL Development.

Graphics Middleware in CubeMX 5.4 came with multiple modes for the TouchGFX Graphics Middleware:

1. “Display Parallel Interface using LTDC�?
  2. “Display Parallel interface using FMC�?
  3. “Display Serial Using LTDC+DSIHOST�?

These modes were, in the case of LTDC+DSIHOST, responsible for copying a very specific, non-portable configuration into your application. With CubeMX 5.5.0 and X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX v1.0.0, two kinds of display interfaces are supported.

1. “Parallel RGB Interface (LTDC)�?
  2. 2)     “Custom Display Interface�?

The LTDC configuration in X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX is identical to what it was in CubeMX 5.4.0 for F4, F7 and H7. Going beyond LTDC as a display interface, users are required to choose “Custom Display Interface�?. The article on Developing TouchGFX HAL explains how to support custom display interfaces like LTDC+DSIHOST, FMC + 8080, FMC + 6800 and SPI.

The following features are no longer possible to configure from within CubeMX using X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX TouchGFX Generator.

1. Bitmap Caching
  2. MCU instrumentation

These configurations are now handled in user code.

After importing the peripheral configuration install the X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX package from “Help�? -> �?Manage Embedded Software Packages�?, STMicroelectronics tab. See the article on Installing TouchGFX for further details.

0690X00000BvmH8QAJ.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @JJoha.2​,

Something apparently went wrong with our technical writer. I wrote the migration guide, so let me find it for you and post it here.

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Since the document is restricted internally, i've adapted it to suit this community software:

Please note that this is only in the event that you have a CubeMX 5.4.0 project (which has the TouchGFX middleware component) and you wish to updgrade to CubeMX 5.5.0 (Which does not have this component). I think migrating from 5.4 to 5.5 with no TouchGFX MIddleware would work fine.

Generally, read this article on X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX 4.13.0 for links to installation and usage:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BwjU6pSQE/official-release-xcubetouchgfx-v4130

Here it is:

Migrating a Graphics Middleware projects from CubeMX 5.4.0 to CubeMX 5.5.0

As of CubeMX version 5.5.0 “Graphics Framework�? options are unavailable from the Middleware section of CubeMX. This document describes how to migrate CubeMX 5.4.0 projects that use the Graphics Middleware (STemWin or TouchGFX) to CubeMX 5.5.0 which, in the case of TouchGFX, requires the X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX “TouchGFX Generator�? to be installed and activated separately through “Additional Software�?. STemWin is no longer supported directly through CubeMX.

0690X00000BvmEJQAZ.png

This message instructs you to “import�? the Peripheral Configuration of the 5.4.0 project from a new CubeMX 5.5.0 using the same STM32 Micro Controller as the 5.4.0 project (A warning will be issued otherwise).

0690X00000BvmEnQAJ.png

Navigate to the 5.4.0 project using the Import function after which a list of available Peripherals is presented. Once the desired peripheral configurations are imported, follow the instructions for either TouchGFX or STemWin in the sections below.

0690X00000BvmF7QAJ.png

CubeMX 5.5.0 and X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX

CubeMX version 5.5.0 saw the removal of most of these restrictions allowing users to configure TouchGFX for practically any STM32 micro (With the exception STM32H747 dual core MCU for which the “Additional Software�? option is unavailable). You can read more about how to create TouchGFX applications using any display interface on any memory configuration in this article on TouchGFX HAL Development.

Graphics Middleware in CubeMX 5.4 came with multiple modes for the TouchGFX Graphics Middleware:

1. “Display Parallel Interface using LTDC�?
  2. “Display Parallel interface using FMC�?
  3. “Display Serial Using LTDC+DSIHOST�?

These modes were, in the case of LTDC+DSIHOST, responsible for copying a very specific, non-portable configuration into your application. With CubeMX 5.5.0 and X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX v1.0.0, two kinds of display interfaces are supported.

1. “Parallel RGB Interface (LTDC)�?
  2. 2)     “Custom Display Interface�?

The LTDC configuration in X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX is identical to what it was in CubeMX 5.4.0 for F4, F7 and H7. Going beyond LTDC as a display interface, users are required to choose “Custom Display Interface�?. The article on Developing TouchGFX HAL explains how to support custom display interfaces like LTDC+DSIHOST, FMC + 8080, FMC + 6800 and SPI.

The following features are no longer possible to configure from within CubeMX using X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX TouchGFX Generator.

1. Bitmap Caching
  2. MCU instrumentation

These configurations are now handled in user code.

After importing the peripheral configuration install the X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX package from “Help�? -> �?Manage Embedded Software Packages�?, STMicroelectronics tab. See the article on Installing TouchGFX for further details.

0690X00000BvmH8QAJ.png