cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max 48V voltage in STEVAL-SPIN3202?

RSege.1
Associate

I want to use the STEVAL-SPIN3202, but the max voltage is 6.7 V to 45 V.

Can't I use 48V as the max voltage? my motor is rated at 48V.

I saw that the STD140N6F7 which is incorporated in the design is 60V...

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Are you talking about the schematic of the evaluation board, or the schematic of the system-in-package (SIP) device itself (DocID030766 Rev 2.0)?

I was talking about the SIP, part number STSPIN32F0A, NOT the evaluation board STEVAL-SPIN3202 for which ST publish the schematic.

Although the SIP shows a block diagram on page 6/41, it does not go into the detailed specifications of any of the building-blocks.

As to why, I can't say. Maybe one of the regulators or driver transistors (none of which are specified anywhere in the documentation) can't take the voltage. Or could it be that a linear regulator can't deliver the necessary current without dissipating too much power? Or a switching regulator would need a bigger inductor to control the current?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Danish1
Lead II

The data sheet for STSPIN32F0A says the recommended operating conditions only go up to 45 V (I know absolute max is 48, but ST don't guarantee correct operation at that voltage). So no that's not a safe thing to do.

Hope this helps,

Danish

Yes but why? did you look at the schematic? I did, and I saw no reason to use 48V. I would like to get an answer which is based on the schematic.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the schematic of the evaluation board, or the schematic of the system-in-package (SIP) device itself (DocID030766 Rev 2.0)?

I was talking about the SIP, part number STSPIN32F0A, NOT the evaluation board STEVAL-SPIN3202 for which ST publish the schematic.

Although the SIP shows a block diagram on page 6/41, it does not go into the detailed specifications of any of the building-blocks.

As to why, I can't say. Maybe one of the regulators or driver transistors (none of which are specified anywhere in the documentation) can't take the voltage. Or could it be that a linear regulator can't deliver the necessary current without dissipating too much power? Or a switching regulator would need a bigger inductor to control the current?

I'm pretty sure the motor will work with 45V, too.

You can exceed the Eval boards specs. at your own risk, of course. As Danish said, check the components, i.e. their datasheets.

Mohamed eleuche
Associate II

Actually it is almost the same question I want to ask. I want to add that in the schematic of the steval_spin3201 the VBUS and the VM are connected with JP2.

My question is: if we supply VBUS with 48V and open JP2 can we regulate the Vbus to , let say 24V , and connect to VM?

My other question can we use a higher current motor since the Mosfets STD140N6F7 have Id 80A?

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @Mohamed eleuche​ 

If you have still this problem, please open a new post about.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...